Author Topic: show your short-scales!  (Read 24868 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: show your short-scales!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
Always such great photos, TD. 

I want to say that I remember you having (or had?) a Vox Constellation?  If my memory is indeed correct, a pic of that might look nice in this thread too ;D   8)

(it's on my wishlist)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »
Always such great photos, TD. 

I want to say that I remember you having (or had?) a Vox Constellation?  If my memory is indeed correct, a pic of that might look nice in this thread too ;D   8)

(it's on my wishlist)

Here's a shot of it along with a shot of my Delta IV and Essex Bass Amp.

TD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:18:25 PM by thornton davis »
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:39 PM »
Thornton,

See the post of Bert. He has the same Klira as the one on the right. Normally you see the doublecut (your one on the left) or the violin bodyshape, but the right one (and Bert's one) seem to be combinations of both. What about that?

Chris the two Klira's above are very unique. The one on the left is a Twen Star 162-I and the one on the right is a Twen Star 162-II. The next version Klira made was called a Twen Star 356. It had a Violin body, identical to Hofner's 500/1. The Twen Star 162-II was a pre Twen Star 356 "quasi" combination which incorporated half of the standard violin style body on the upper body along with the cutaway of the 162-I on the lower body. In addition to their unique body shapes, the bound "cat's eyes" sound holes add to the design of all Twen Star models.

But even though the two designs are very similar, Klira made the Twen Star 162-II a 1/2" thinner than the 162-I.

FWIW, the fronts and backs are made from a single piece of German Spruce on the basses pictured. Klira's sound great and they're very well made.

TD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:07:11 PM by thornton davis »
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 06:30:28 AM »
Hi shorties

Actually I don't like playing the short scale basses but as a Gibson fan and due to it's fantastic good look I got myself a Triumph some years ago. Posting a couple of pictures, the condition of the bass is quite OK, some few dings and some belt buckle wear. The hard sell case is pretty beaten up though.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 07:57:59 AM »
Hi shorties

Actually I don't like playing the short scale basses but as a Gibson fan and due to it's fantastic good look I got myself a Triumph some years ago. Posting a couple of pictures, the condition of the bass is quite OK, some few dings and some belt buckle wear. The hard sell case is pretty beaten up though.

Nice grain!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
 Good to see you here TD ! I have two Klira s and I love them one was my first bass bought many moons ago ! Easily a equal to my '65 Hofner.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »

as I got it

since I've had it

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
Ok here's mine ! 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
OK

G.O.T what is that SG looking thing of beauty in the last pic, splain please!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »
Is that a John Birch?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 06:20:21 AM »
John Birch is close ! it is a Jaydee buit by John Diggens who worked at JB in the 70's it is a exact replica of Jim Lea's (of Slade) one of John Birch that was made in '76 to replace his much modded EB3 that was stolen from the John Birch shop. JD used Jim Lea's bass as a pattern and even got Jimmy to sign it for me ! I was supposed to go over to England and pick up the bass and meet Jim and JD but I was unable to do so. It was a big thrill for me to have Jim so involved in the project. A lot of really great people helped make this happen My friend Stu over in the UK pointed me in the right direction and even provided a vintage JB bridge for the project. JD came up with a pair of vintage Birch pickups. It is a wondeful piece of work and one of my favorite basses, bloody loud and ballsy with it's own on board distortion.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
sweetamundo Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »
Yeah, awesome picture and awesome story! Is that Jim Lea holding the basses?

Here's a shot of my '68 Melody Maker. I just love this shape!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »
I just love this shape!

me too, it just screams rock n roll!