Author Topic: Trade my all original sunburst 1965 T Bird for a 1964 Sunburst Jazz bass  (Read 10334 times)

lowend1

• View Profile

I just couldn't couldn't trade an old Thunderbird  :-[

Agreed. They churn J-Basses out like Campbell's Pork and Beans. It's like trading a Mopar for a Chevy.
What?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

For the life of me, I've never underestood pricing of '60s Fenders, they cranked 'em out by the thousands and I'm supposed to belive each and every one of them is some kind of magical bass - I ain't buying it  8)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
As cornball as it sounds, I've never played a bad one. IMO, it was the sustained quality in the mass quanities that won Fender the marketplace and that's why the CBS Fenders were so poorly received: corporate cut-corners stuck out immediately. If I were Baz, I'd still hold on to the T-Bird, though. The things about 64 Fender Jazz Basses is that many people have successfully copied them. Gibson can't even make consistent T-Birds.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Lull had one at his shop for awhile (he was selling it for a customer), I played it thru an SWR Redhead for about 30 minutes one afternoon while waiting for him to finish up one of my 'Birds - It was a nice bass, sounded fine - didn't speak to me tho, just not my thing I guess.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
So...does anybody have a stripped, beat to shit pre-cbs jazz bass ?? or at least the neck to sell me for cheap>??? SAnd NO I do not want an ALL PARTS POS...I want the real deal...I just quit my asshole band a few weeks ago and need to reinvent myself...Lock the birds in the closet for now!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Baz, if you can find a '62 replacement neck from the late 90's, it's seriously the best Jazz neck I've ever played. I don't have an extra one anymore but they come up now and then on ebay and they're beautiful. Slab board, comfortable profile. I'll bet you could build a killer Jazz starting with that and you'd still have your bird.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Agreed. They churn J-Basses out like Campbell's Pork and Beans. It's like trading a Mopar for a Chevy.
What?

Right on!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

patman

• View Profile
Years ago I had a Pre-CBS (no idea what year) Jazz...bought it for $125 (was a long, long time ago)...also had a Pre-CBS Musicmaster...

They sounded good...So does a really good CIJ Jazz or MIM Jazz...

I'm 56, been gigging since about age 13...a fifteen year old bass can sound really good...(I do think the wood ages in...but then I think finish can influence sound...heresy around here.)

My point is, find a good player whether it be a $250 MIM Precision like me or whatever it is and play music.  The instrument doesn't make the player...your skills and artistry make the player. The music is inside of you, not the instrument.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
...and though it may sound like heresy, the "Roadworn" series of MIM Fenders REALLY does cop the total vibe of 60's Jazz Basses for a fraction of the cost. Dare to reinvent yourself without buying into "only old is good" marketing, especially if money's tight. I'll put my MIM '62 reissue up against the real thing ANY day. It was heavily customized before I bought it, and by not spending an arm and a leg, you can buy a nice complete instrument, really make it your own, and not lose an extremely rare an valuable Gibson to a whim that you WILL regret later.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
I owned a beautiful mojoed to heck '66 P bass that I thought was a keeper.  Then I bought a Nash as a backup, and the Nash looked, played and sounded just as nice as the '66, so I sold the '66, bought 2 Nashes, a new refrigerator, and an engagement ring.  Bill Nash does wonders with his "parts" basses - they feel every bit as comfortable to play as any vintage Fender I've played.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Well.....That's great if you guys like those...But I swear....If somebody offered me a REAL Pre-CBS beat to shit Slab Board Fender Jazz bass....I would do it in a heartbeat!!!!

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Austin Vintage Guitars has a 1960 Stack knob.  Not sure how much but Steve likes to trade.

http://www.austinvintageguitars.com/basses.php

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Thanks. I'll contact them and see....

nofi

• View Profile
so baz, how is that 'not trading' thing working out for you. :popcorn:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Someone, somewhere is herniating themselves in an effort to get rid of a '64 Jazz bass for a '64 T bird...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.