Author Topic: Trade my all original sunburst 1965 T Bird for a 1964 Sunburst Jazz bass  (Read 10310 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Was it really $20,000 good?

is any bass???    assuming one can afford it the only question is in 5 years will it be worth 15,000 or 25,000.   A high end alembic or fodera would sell for 15000 or less but the j bass would be 25000.....  both assumptions ignoring any economic meltdown again... 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
So I have been offered a 1965 Jazz bass...all pre-CBS specs..sunburst.....I would be the second owner....thoughts??? Exactly like a 1964....

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Baz!

Don't make me cry!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
DON'T DO IT!  You will live to regret it!  Jazz basses are easy enough to find but 60s birds are rare.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
I'm a Jazz Bass nut and I wouldn't do that trade.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Use the force, Baz... ;)

If the deal feels right to you, and the "knowledge" that it is a '60's Jazz and not an RI (which was Scott's recommendation), and knowing that (as much as I can from what I know of you from this side of the pond) your musical equipment collection can be somewhat a revolving door, then you are the only person that can answer this conundrum...

The only thing I will say is... it's not a '64... why settle for less when trading such rare instruments...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
The only thing I will say is... it's not a '64... why settle for less when trading such rare instruments...?

That's right.

I wouldn't do it. You wanted a '64 specifically, but this one is a '65. They might exactly the same but it's not what you wanted.
Keep the Tbird!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Ok. I'm out....Had a weak moment there...it's NOT a '64....if it WAS a '64...I may have broke...If it was an early '60's slab board, I'd do it without hesitation...I'm gonna go after that '71 Tele bass neck on Ebay...and build me a Frankenstein!!! I hope!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Now that sounds like a plan Baz! For a minute there I thought we lost ya!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Tele bass went too high...But..it's funny...BLUE BOOK value values Jazz basses higher than Thunderbirds....UNREAL.

nofi

• View Profile
yeah, 800 bucks is too expensive. of course jazz basses are
higher rated. the early sixties jazz bass has been iconic almost as soon as it left the factoy. while a thunderbird is just a thunderbird. sorry...
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
They just emailed me...they want to do the trade...but they have to look at the bass in person...which means...ROAD TRIP!! to Cincinnati, Ohio!! Still pondering....

lowend1

• View Profile
When we're talking vintage Fender vs vintage Gibson, the probability that something is faked is far higher on the Fender.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

I just couldn't couldn't trade an old Thunderbird  :-[
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
I've had lots of Jazzes, I'm mostly a Fender guy, and I wouldn't do it.  Always wanted a T-Bird.