Author Topic: What's the appeal of 6, 7, 8, and 12 string basses?  (Read 9132 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: What's the appeal of 6, 7, 8, and 12 string basses?
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »
Speaking of JPJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgAtOHRTOA&feature=related

WOW!! A new "most annoying female vocalist?" Hard to believe someone could top Yoko Ono and shenead O'Connor COMBINED.  I DO get what she seems to be trying to do...cover the sonic territory of both a singer and a guitarist....but, god, I'd smash my stereo and drive nails thru my eardrums if I had to listen to much of that!

Ya think JPJ is bangin' her or just being paid a lot?

This sort of reminds me of what Robert Fripp did on Exposure 30+ years ago with Terre Roche doing the vocal on the title track....except that was far more interesting and listenable.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:47:13 AM by mc2NY »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 05:47:58 AM »
JPJ is the only ex zep who has kept busy playing with and producing a wide range of artists. i admire him for that and for not resting on his led zep laurals.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:37 AM »
NOw, that might be called art, but then I must admit to enjoying art of noise more. :mrgreen:

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
JPJ is the only ex zep who has kept busy playing with and producing a wide range of artists. i admire him for that and for not resting on his led zep laurals.

Plant can't be accused for resting either. He's been doing the solo thing and occasional Page/Plant -projects and others since 1981 and nowadays especially does the music he clearly loves.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »

True, JP has rested mostly on his laurels (or is unable to make music outside of LZ for any sensible duration), but RP - who I like neither as a frontman nor for his voice, but that is beside the point - has done a lot in his solo career to distance himself from Led Zep - a lot of his CDs do not court the LZ devoted.  It's JP not RP that recycled the Kashmir riff with Puff Daddy for that very deep and insightful Godzilla remake in which the animated lizard did better acting than most humans.

And JB rests too, but not on his laurels, in peace more like!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
True, JP has rested mostly on his laurels (or is unable to make music outside of LZ for any sensible duration)

He should make an acoustic album with Roy Harper.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »
this is a clip from the outrider album. it shows an example of page's sloppy but imo appealing approach to his 'blues' playing.  ;D hmm, it seems to have vanished. ???

warner seems to have pulled the video. shite!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:39:53 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »
Wow that's a blast from the past. It's been over 20 years since the last time I heard this one. I love Page's playing there.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023