Author Topic: What's the appeal of 6, 7, 8, and 12 string basses?  (Read 9130 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: What's the appeal of 6, 7, 8, and 12 string basses?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
 :-[ I herewith grovel and apologize: Pearl Jam is not Soundgarden and Pearl Jam's harmonies are alright. I'm shattered ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
After playing a sixer for a couple of years, I'm pretty sure God meant basses to have 4 strings.  He never stipulated how to tune them, though.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 10:02:06 PM »
:-[ I herewith grovel and apologize: Pearl Jam is not Soundgarden and Pearl Jam's harmonies are alright. I'm shattered ...

Also, "Jeremy" was a big hit and while not many average listeners instantly know it's a 12-string bass on the intro I bet not too many know about the 12-string Rickenbacker on the "Tambourine Man" either.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:45 AM »
roger mcquinn's ric is iconic. fans who may not know gear specifics certainly know that guitar and what it sounds like. being a hit or not is irrelevant.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »

Here's a nice thread derail......

Soundgarden took it's name from a wind sculpture at Seattle's Warren G, Magnuson park ( Once called Sand Point Navel Air Station, used as a training facility for many years incliding WWII. As Aircraft Carriers were retrofitted or repaired at Bremerton Navel Shipyard across Puget Sound their Air Groups were often stationed here for training. Of note the USS Enterprise and Saratoga's fliers flew from here. Training accidents resulted in several planes ending up in the adjacent Lake Washington - including one F-4 Corsair that was dredged up, restored and is now on display at Seattle's Museum of Flight.

Soundgarden the band took it's name from this:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aGUPZc53cQ&feature=related

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
Was in a 3-piece back in the 90s, I played Hamer 12-string basses only. They were great for filling up sonic space when the guitarist would switch to hurdy-gurdy or penny whistle.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »
This thread made me dig out my LP 8 string (amazing how well the neck holds up to the extra pull) for a rehearsal and I played it as we rearranged The Cranberries' Zombi. Yeah, it sounds impressive and dominating in that song, but after a while it's quite enough. Rhythmic nuances are carried better with a single strings instruments, but then most 8- and 12-stringers aren't rhythmic and most rhythmic players aren't 8_ or 12 string players. That said, my LP 8-String was pre-owned and -played by TM Stevens whose funky enough. Wonder what he did with it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
I think 12 string basses are cool ....but for me...they tend to get muddy...swishy....I've played Tom Petersson's Electrical Guitar Company 12ver on stage through his rig during soundcheck...as well as his Peacock Waterstone 12ver....Nice instruments, especially the EGC...but I tell ya...It still has the tendency to get drowned out and muddy.  I like the B12A acoustic body 12ver the best...BUT.....I have Tom's Old Candy Apple Red Hamer Thunderbird 8 string bass, the only T Bird 8 string  Hamer ever made, and I can play that baby (with a Pick) on ANY song. Period. It cuts through like a knife, but can also sound Like a Sherman tank!! VERY versatile for me...But then again...Chip Z'Nuff from Enuff Z Nuff plays his 12ver with  his fingers...So..I really think it all boils down to what each indibidual band likes. My last band, which I left, didn't like the 8 on most songs. The guitar player preferred a bassy tone as opposed to my Cut throat Crunch Buzz Saw bass tone. Whether a T bird 4 String or a T bird 8, I have a raw dirty tone....No effects.....Just raw dirt.
    So....I too have my issues with any bass that is other than 4 8 or 12...Like 5vers...I don't get it....But however I do dig those Fender Bass VI's!!! That what makes us all so COOL!!! We like different basses!!!

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:40 AM »
I think 12 string basses are cool ....but for me...they tend to get muddy...swishy....I've played Tom Petersson's Electrical Guitar Company 12ver on stage through his rig during soundcheck...as well as his Peacock Waterstone 12ver....Nice instruments, especially the EGC...but I tell ya...It still has the tendency to get drowned out and muddy. 

Maybe it's because Tom nowadays favours the neck pickup only? I had my Waterstone converted into stereo and it works perfectly that way. The neck humbucker is the stock model that provides enough warmth and the bridge pickup is a Charlie Christian -type single coil that's great for the overdriven sound.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
Rhythmic nuances are carried better with a single strings instruments, but then most 8- and 12-stringers aren't rhythmic and most rhythmic players aren't 8_ or 12 string players.

Like John Paul Jones?;)

Palm muting is a very handy technique with the 8- or 12-string. Helps to play more rhythmic of funky stuff if needed.

Hörnisse

• View Profile

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:57 AM »
That what makes us all so COOL!!! We like different basses!!!
Hear hear!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »

I have only the bass Baz built to make any comparisons with, it is quite different sounding than its sister - my Orville 'Bird which shares indentical pickups and construction. The Orville is quite defined, and growly in a modern way, Baz's loving creation just rawrs, a bit less defined and wider - I love the differences!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
Diamanda Galas...

Even my daughter thought that was wierd, and that's saying something...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
I saw the tour with JPJ/Diamanda Galas. She was something different. It was great watching him and some of the music was pretty damn cool. But her??????? Not my taste.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT