Author Topic: Cliff 'Em All  (Read 11484 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff 'Em All
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 01:17:47 AM »
I agree with PBG, without Cliff Metallica would be "just another thrash metal band", they would probably have recorded 1-2 "ok" records and then disbanded. Even if Hetfield is one of the best heavy metal rhythm guitarists.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 03:34:48 AM »
I'm no RT expert, but what I've heard and seen sounds more variable than jis band buddies. But each Metallica instrumentalist has an easily discernable style and that's something too.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 05:16:10 AM »
LBO is great!
I love being able to sit back and read an intelligent thread about a band (whose music I detest) where any discussion (especially about Cliff Burton) has historically ignited arguments amongst fans, gear-heads, gear-snobs and detractors.  Usually these threads go south quickly, and it's a real testament to the caliber of folks on this board and the management of the site that this can keep rolling with a tongue-in-cheek demeanor about a (needlessly) sensitive topic.

Not an easy thing to maintain in this day of keyboard bullies.
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:28 AM »
+1.

(Has everything to do with age, I think)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 06:41:43 AM »
Please tell me you're not serious. I wouldn't call anything he's done in either Infectious Grooves, Suicidal Tendencies, or Metallicunt "gifted."

I don't know about that. I would certainly consider the $1m signing bonus "gifted".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Chaser001

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 06:50:38 AM »
I agree with PBG, without Cliff Metallica would be "just another thrash metal band", they would probably have recorded 1-2 "ok" records and then disbanded. Even if Hetfield is one of the best heavy metal rhythm guitarists.

+1

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 07:58:13 AM »
I have a son who has listened to a lot of Metallica over the years. I have really tried with Metallica, but I just don't get it.  Really don't like cookie monster vocals.

Maybe I'm too old, but it's not anything I want to hear...not enough melody and harmonic content to recognize as music...Most metal is like that for me...don't want to ignite anything, because I am older, and my tastes are affected by my location in OHIO etc, but...

I can't do metal and rap...there I said it...I know I am small minded and provincial...but it's like Popeye...I am what I am.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:07:22 AM by patman »

Chaser001

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:23 AM »
I have a son who has listened to a lot of Metallica over the years. I have really tried with Metallica, but I just don't get it.  Really don't like cookie monster vocals.

Maybe I'm too old, but it's not anything I want to hear...not enough melody and harmonic content to recognize as music...Most metal is like that for me...don't want to ignite anything, because I am older, and my tastes are affected by my location in OHIO etc, but...

I can't do metal and rap...there I said it...I know I am small minded and provincial...but it's like Popeye...I am what I am.

What has always bothered me about Metallica is Hetfield's vocals.  His singing just doesn't cut it for me.  However, "Whiskey in the Jar" is the exception to the rule.  He seems born to have sung that song.  It's even better than the Thin Lizzy version. 

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
It's a strange band - I don't really care for overly crunchy rhythm guitar and I hate his vocals.
The rest of em are OK, and they do have a huge fan base.
Unfortunately, there's a large (and vocal) portion of their fans that are into the look and badassedness of the band.
Any band that needs to explain to their fans why they cut their hair has got an uphill battle to fight.

Also, the more I learned about the chemistry of these guys (via documentaries and such), the more I stayed away from them.
I will give James Hetfield some credit for not pounding Lars to death by now. 

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 11:22:32 AM »
Hetfield had no idea what singing was on the first albums, he understood glimpses of it on the third and fourth and went full (Eric) Bloom on the Black Album. He is still not a great singer, but no cookie monster either anymore. His voice does remind me of a caricature of Eric Bloom's (of BÖC), bigger but less elastic.

I must say I admire Metallica for St. Anger. That is not an album I like, but I thought they had enormous guts uncommercially defying expectations like that. The follow-up album was treading safe water in comparison even though it is of course far more accessible.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »
St. Anger is nice to listen to... it was quite nice to release it with the rough-n-ready dvd version, too

We have some very popular Cliff's (Williams is a Brit, after all)

Cliff Richards has been quite popular...

The German's liked the White Cliff's of Dover so much they kept coming over on sight-seeing tours (not sure why they did it at night, though...)

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chaser001

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
I like St. Anger, but I've encountered hardcore Metallica fans who certainly do not. 

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »
St. Anger is nice to listen to...

I like St. Anger

HOW CAN YOU STAND THAT SNAREDRUM???  :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
Easy. It sounds like most snare drum sound in not very soundproof rehearsal rooms! It sure was honest.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »
I am not a fan of the drum sound on Justice...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...