Author Topic: Cliff 'Em All  (Read 11486 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff 'Em All
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2010, 08:25:16 AM »
Mybe Ah-Re-Ah-Pro-Tu is something phoenitically translatable into Japanese.... (where is Harry when you need him...?)  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
You know, I've never thought a lot of Fernandes gear, but they have to be doing something right in order for Robert Fripp to use one of their guitars for quite a while.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
You know, I've never thought a lot of Fernandes gear, but they have to be doing something right in order for Robert Fripp to use one of their guitars for quite a while.

Like most companies, they made gear at different price points, some good, some not so hot.

Whenever I think of Fernandes, I think of a former Minneapolis music store whose owner had Gibson but couldn't get a Fender dealership. He would tell any customer and even new employees that Fernandes predated Fender and that Leo Fender visited Japan in 1947 and stole all his ideas from Fernandes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
Isn't my Punisher made in the Fernandes factory? Fine quality they then have.

Steele played an Esh Stinger, which looks a bit like a reverse (or non-reverse) Iceman would. The company went defunct some years (which might explain Steele's desertion to Fernandes), but was resurrected two or three years ago and Steele was to have been in negotiations with them re a signature model in 2009. They now have a model with green pup and green inlays to commemorate him. When TON where still a hot topic, you certainly saw him playing that Esh a lot.

http://esh-bass.com/content/view/45/40

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:26:12 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
Don't know if this is true, but I was told the first MIJ Fenders were made on contract by Fernandes.

I had an old MIJ Precision that was the best I ever owned...always wondered if it was made by Fernandes.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
Don't know if this is true, but I was told the first MIJ Fenders were made on contract by Fernandes.

I had an old MIJ Precision that was the best I ever owned...always wondered if it was made by Fernandes.

According to Fender Japan's official history, Fuji Gen Gakki was the original manufacturer of MIJ Fenders.

I don't know if Fernandes had its own factory or if it was a brand name made under contract by a factory.

Garrett

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Those are nice Uwe! Love the Stinger 1!

Hornisse

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »
Here is a video with the Washburn M-10 bass that he was using pretty much until he passed away.  You can see it at around the 30 second mark.