Author Topic: Too many basses?  (Read 20205 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Too many basses?
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 05:11:35 AM »
I have gigged with most over the years and rehearsed with them all. There is not a single bass I own I don't play once in a while (some more often and gladly of course). I keep them all in playable, freshly-strung (I go through a lot and always have at least 50 sets of various makers stocked), intonated, truss-rod set up and - if need be - repaired state. Not to forget my trademak Heriba pick stuck underneath the strings near the nut!  :mrgreen:

At rehearsals, I generally have four different basses with me, at gigs sometimes less. The issue I encountered when my herd was much smaller (there was a time when I had four basses only for almost a decade) that changing from one bass to another took time to settle in, doesn't happen anymore these days, it doesn't really take more than a minute to adjust from one bass to another.

Tonight, we'll do an unplugged rehearsal to test out guitar arrangements for our current recordings. I'll take my hollowbody EB-6 with me. That is not only my most expensive bass (10.000 Dollars at the time), but alsos one that doesn't see action all too often (not because of the value, but because of the limited use of a six-string in the music I play). But it will be handy tonight as I can ape guitar on it and throw off ideas with the guitarist.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »
Uwe used the "G" word - shame on you... >:( ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »
The issue I encountered when my herd was much smaller that changing from one bass to another took time to settle in, doesn't happen anymore these days, it doesn't really take more than a minute to adjust from one bass to another.

Thats actually a really good point. I'd be very interested in hearing peoples opinions on this.

I was the same as Uwe way back when I gigged with 2 basses for years. My #2 bass was really only a backup and rarely got played. When it did the transition was a bit uncomfortable for at least a song or two.

These days I gig with at least 3 and usually 4 basses.

What I've found is that certain songs prefer different basses and even when I change basses its like my head/fingers are already expecting the feel and tone of that bass. So the transition is almost seamless.

The ironic part is when I go back to using my Jazz bass on a song that has demanded the Woody bass, that is when it feels uncomfortable. And dont even think about replacing the fretless on that bass' songs!  :o

Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:37 AM »
I had two basses when I was playing for a living.  It was primarily as a backup, but I always made a point to play it at some point during each show.  I wish I had kept one of my backup basses - a flawless Guild M-85 semi-hollowbody.  I sold that one, which led me to the Embassy, so I guess it was a good deal.

My main bass for the past couple of years has been the Bettie Page fanfret, but I always bring a spare, and usually dedicate a full set to using it (I also rotate the spare).  Now that the Embassy is back with me, we'll see how the rotation goes.  For the first time ever, I'm actually quite conscious of where I play, and hesitate to bring out certain basses.  The Scroll bass stays at home with the exception of one or two clubs that I feel comfortable bringing it to.

My indie band is recording next week, and I plan to have 3 basses with me for that - Epiphone Embassy, Bettie Page fanfret and the Scroll bass.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:18 AM »
Thats actually a really good point. I'd be very interested in hearing peoples opinions on this.

I was the same as Uwe way back when I gigged with 2 basses for years. My #2 bass was really only a backup and rarely got played. When it did the transition was a bit uncomfortable for at least a song or two.

These days I gig with at least 3 and usually 4 basses.

What I've found is that certain songs prefer different basses and even when I change basses its like my head/fingers are already expecting the feel and tone of that bass. So the transition is almost seamless.

The ironic part is when I go back to using my Jazz bass on a song that has demanded the Woody bass, that is when it feels uncomfortable. And dont even think about replacing the fretless on that bass' songs!  :o

I've had some quite incredulous and even hostile reactions to coming to a gig with more than one bass. Like it's ok for the guitarist, but the bass player should manage with one. I always take 2 and either play one all the way through or swap at the break, depending how things are going and how I feel. I used to do midset swaps, but gave that up as we do very little classic rock now and I can drown out the guitarist on Sunshine of Your Love just as easily with the P.

Generally I can swap between basses ok, except when I had the EB3, which I think was more the neck dive than the scale. I make so many mistakes anyway, it's hard to tell. Depends a lot what distractions there may be in the audience.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2010, 06:33:07 AM »
I have gigged with most over the years and rehearsed with them all. There is not a single bass I own I don't play once in a while (some more often and gladly of course).

How do you know? Must be like a shepherd keeping track of 250 sheep on a Yorkshire fell.

Blackberries don't have bass tracking apps, do they?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:30 AM »
How do you know? Must be like a shepherd keeping track of 250 sheep on a Yorkshire fell.

Perhaps he's chipped each one like you can do with cats and dogs!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:04 AM »
Hey, I know my basses!

Having a harem doesn't mean you don't have an eye for individual details!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »

I *think* one of your harem is a tranny  :D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »

I *think* one of your harem is a tranny  :D

Apparently, the onlookers have more of an eye for detail than the owner...   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »

;)

I have a finely developed Gaydar.......

Often part of thrill is being mistaken for a real girl, tho with me, that does not happen  ;D   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:24 PM »
Ok, I give up, which tranny escaped the Sultan's sharp eye?  :-\

Even the most innocent works of art are ruthlessly dragged here into your very own quagmire of innuendo and gender uncertainty!!!  :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
Ok, I give up, which tranny escaped the Sultan's sharp eye?  :-\

Why the Violet Thunderbird of course!    ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »

;D

Phil's comments on (G word) reactions i can have sympathy with as I've had the same thing - sod em is my opinion - I'll play whatever I need to to get the sound I want to obtain; mind you, the Peter Cook is kind of weird now as the sound can be changed so radically (Mudbucker and RD humbucker) - love it...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2010, 06:26:05 AM »

Why the Violet Thunderbird of course!    ;)

You can't go all coy now. It's either a large male member in that picture or a salami snack.

(Do you have Peperami in the US?)