Author Topic: Too many basses?  (Read 20120 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Too many basses?
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »
I think I'm suffering from too many basses.  Here's the current list:

1963 Precision
2000 MIM Jazz
Epiphone Jack Casady gold top
No-name (Possibly Lotus) P/J Fretless with tapewounds
1970's Univox hollowbody (short-scale)
1964 Gibson EB-0 (short scale)
Rogue VB-100 'Beatle Bass" (short scale)
Gretsch G2202 Electromatic Jr. Jet (short scale)
Squier Bronco bass (short scale)
'63 Danelectro Re-Issue, Surf Green
Aria Diamond (Hi-Flyer) Mosrite copy (short scale)
Applause (Ovation) AE-40 acoustic-electric (short scale)

And today I added a Schecter C-4, the only active bass in the group.  I honestly can't play all the instruments I have, but they all have their own appeal.  I've decided that since I'm moving from surf music into rock, I can sell the Danelectro and the Aria Musrite copy; at least they'll pay for the Schecter.

I have a tendency to be a collector, but I think that it would help me to spend more time playing the same - or similar - instruments just to eliminate one variable while I play.  I have a tendency to miss chord changes, and if fewer things are distracting me, it may help.

I also have a walnut-colored Lyle hollowbody short scale that has been sitting for a few years as a project...I might sell that and just pass on the project.  I have a pair of Gretsch Filtertron pickups waiting to go into the Univox hollowbody, so I ought to have a great sounding hollow body bass when that one is together.  The pickups in it are OK but pretty undistinguished.

Anyone in a similar situation?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: Too many basses?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
I was, but I'm down to 7 now, from a high of 21.  Strangely, I feel better too, as I don't have the added complication of the pre-rehearsal or pre-gig decision making process over which basses to take.

Realistically, if absolutely pressed, I could probably get it down to 3 basses only.  Or maybe 4.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
If we are strictly keeping to basses I have 10 (soon to be 11) Thats probably about right for me  ;) Dont think I need more (yet).

My Schecter:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:40:37 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
Having lost several to theft a while ago, and also still having several that never get played, I am well aware of the too many feeling.  I do have too many. And after recently dealing with the death of my brother - also a musician - I am more aware than ever that we can't take any of these with us.  The feeling that you have too many is really something inside you, and I have found it generally positive to heed the impulse.  Once you own a great bass, and play it, gig with it, look at it, etc, nothing can take that away from you.  So I always encourage people to be able to let them go.  Not being able to is not healthy as well, and I suspect some combo of fear of never being able to find another, or having started out with crummy stuff makes many of us hoard them.  I have been sorting out what I will keep and what goes up for sale over the past few weeks. It is tough and emotional, but liberating.  If you have lots of income and room, you could keep a lot, but even that has a time limit.  The truth is you really only need one (when I was 11 I would have given a nut for a real Fender P).  Good luck.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »

Also Al, me being pedantic again, I have a similar Schecter. Its a Korean Hellraiser. The pups are passive. Its the Tone circuitry thats active. I suspect yours would be the same.

Yours looks very similar - and you're right, the pickups are passive.  Indeed, it's the EQ/tone circuits that are active.

I played it for more than two hours tonight at practice - it's a real pleasure to play.

.....I always encourage people to be able to let them go.  Not being able to is not healthy as well, and I suspect some combo of fear of never being able to find another, or having started out with crummy stuff makes many of us hoard them.  ...... The truth is you really only need one (when I was 11 I would have given a nut for a real Fender P).  Good luck.

That's right.  I spent my high school and college years with one - that old P - and it never let me down.  That's a lifelong keeper.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
Hah  ;D you beat me too it. I read your "New toy" thread and modified my post above accordingly but you replied before I'd finished.
Digresion our specialty!

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »
I think I'm suffering from too many basses. 

Anyone in a similar situation?

Way too much gear but once I got started. . . . . .
it's hard to know how or when to stop!  :o

http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/

Err. . . .  I'll get me coat!!!
(a gag that perhaps won't translate to the other side of the pond)

Kenny, perhaps you might explain. ;)

Now, where did I leave that . . . . . . . .   ;D
Now a little more wiser. . . . .

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:16 AM »
Can you post some pics of the basses you wanna sell?

And I'm curious about the shortscale Gretsch. Pics please!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:02:41 AM »
Hmmmmm.........too many basses?  I'll have to think about that concept for a bit.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:20:01 AM »
 34 at the moment, not counting bits and pieces waiting for assembley. Two are going up for sale this week.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:14 AM »
Too many basses? Is there such a thing?

You don't even have 1 Rickenbacker, so you need at least one more.

My criterion to keep bass'es is if I play them regularly or in 1 instance (my first Rick, a 4000) emotional attachment.
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 05:40:40 AM »
If you know the exact number it's not too many.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:52:40 AM »
i'm down to two. but then i always have two so i guess i'm not down at all.

pilgrim you can sell everything but the 1963 p bass. that will do ya'.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 07:18:30 AM »
Two acoustics and two electrics for me 8). I tend to get in to an instrument for while and play nothing else. Just really get into it ya know. Too many basses just screws me up ???
Rick

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:10 AM »
I have 10 basses and one in the making.

That is too many I know. But I really love them all.
I recognize the pre-gig stress (of choosing which ones to take) that Aussie Mark mentions.

I do have a few of them that I haven't taken to gigs lately, because they shoud be serviced. The Epi JCS has a loose contact. And that one is a bitch to wire, so I haven't found the patience to start that job...

And the Les Paul Employee build/Prototype has very scratchy pots and a loose contact in the jack too. I can't change the pots 'cause they are a very rare impedance of 2.5 K.