Author Topic: Evolution of a bass player  (Read 8407 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: Evolution of a bass player
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »
You guys do realize most of these kids will switch to clarinet or oboes when they get older right? ;D

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
With any luck ;)
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »
My son is a guitar player, but he is adamant to always have a bass around and the two shapes he likes best are the TBird and - surprisingly - the Ripper/G3/Grabber shape. He keeps imploring me to lend him my blue Grabber ("I swear I won't wear any bracelets or belt buckles and stuff!"). I'll think about it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
My son is a guitar player, but he is adamant to always have a bass around and the two shapes he likes best are the TBird and - surprisingly - the Ripper/G3/Grabber shape. He keeps imploring me to lend him my blue Grabber ("I swear I won't wear any bracelets or belt buckles and stuff!"). I'll think about it.

It's my understanding that there can be medical intervention to overcome this unhealthy interest in guitar - worst case scenario is, perhaps, shock treatment and pharmaceutical therapy ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
Where there is light, there must be shadow... we all must beware of the darkenss that lurks within... :vader: :vader: :vader:

Probably why my SG (6 string version) is black...   8) - black pups, too...  8)

hmm, still haven't posted anything about my Ibanez 12 string acoustic... still too scared of German Intervention...  :o  :o  :o

Scott... surely you could have got Charlotte an EB0...? why inflict her with Fenderitis...?  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
Brits ???

She is in the Jazz Band ;D ;)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 12:04:29 AM »
Great pics of the kiddies!

Here are my two boys.  Come to think of it, guitar and oboe aren't so bad afterall :o ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 04:18:11 AM »
Joe... definitely more portable...  ;D  ;D  ;D

and Buzz... all the more reason for a nice short scale fretless EBO...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:16 AM »
Where there is light, there must be shadow... we all must beware of the darkenss that lurks within... :vader: :vader: :vader:

Probably why my SG (6 string version) is black...   8) - black pups, too...  8)

hmm, still haven't posted anything about my Ibanez 12 string acoustic... still too scared of German Intervention...  :o  :o  :o

Scott... surely you could have got Charlotte an EB0...? why inflict her with Fenderitis...?  ;D

Ken, while in general any reason to invade the British Isles and install German rule and the Euro there (= pretty much the same thing) is good enough for me, I herwith confide:

I own (just) one guitar. An acoustic one from the fine Axis Power brand of Ibanez. And guess what? It is a twelve string. You are not alone.

Uwe

nofi

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
i think it's a good idea for a kid to learn on a 34' scale bass. not a short scale and certainly not a fretless. this is the 'popular' scale for this instrument that they will be running into. after a while they can experiment with other things.imo.  charlotte seems to handling hers just fine.

my son learned on my 68 tele bass. after he discovered hendix and iommi he took up a much shorter instrument. :o

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 12:55:15 PM »
For the 9 years old kid he was when he started playing, I thought that a 30" scale is long enough. I figured, with the violin family, young kids start with 1/4 or 1/2 size instruments. But you may be right, nofi, I don't know, your post makes sense to me. And kids start learning piano at 4 or 5 and you have never heard of a 3/4 size piano. Anyway at 11 years old my son feels equally comfortable (or uncomfortable, depending on the exercise) on a 30" Mustang, 33" Ric and 34" Fender.

When he started I showed him simple riffs around the lower frets of the E string, because that's how I was taught. I found it interesting that his upright bass teacher started him with D major and minor scales at "frets" 7, 8 and 9, and open G and D - where he can play (almost) accurately with his small hands.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
Great pics of the kiddies!

Here are my two boys.  Come to think of it, guitar and oboe aren't so bad afterall :o ;D

I see that the new generation of ELP enthusiasts is alive and well!

Blazer

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »

Well you can always get him an Ibanez GAXB bass which almost has the same shape, and with some balck plastic, a diamond saw, a surplus mudbucker and a rattlecan of blue paint you could make him the best Gibson that isn't a Gibson.

Rocker949

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
You'd definitely have to put on the mudbucker on the Ibanez to make it work.  I have a 64 Gibson EB-O and a GAXB-150.  Compared to the Gibson, the Ibanez sounds like a toy. 

Blazer

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
You'd definitely have to put on the mudbucker on the Ibanez to make it work.  I have a 64 Gibson EB-O and a GAXB-150.  Compared to the Gibson, the Ibanez sounds like a toy. 

Yeah I own one of those ibanez GAXB basses and it truly came to life when I pulled out that cheap ass pickup and replaced it with an active EMG humbucker. It's a cool little bass though, I used it on a lot of home recordings.