Author Topic: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"  (Read 17402 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:50 AM »
the fender p bass is the very definition of an electric bass and has proven itself for the past fifty some odd years in every type of music. plus they are nowhere as fragile as that other brand that gets much love around here.

This is how I see it too :)

BTW: How did you turn into a Jr. Member? You haven't been screwing around with the Wayback Machine again , have you :o

Rick

nofi

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2009, 06:12:11 AM »
i deleted my old account and started a new gentler, kinder one. ;D

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
Hmmm, I've got a pretty lousy attitude lately, maybe that would work for me ???
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
LMFAO ! Were we not talking about the Fender Precision bass ? The most robust and reliable of all bases ? How could this degenerate into a discussion about British sports cars ? Only here.

Not only "only here", but ALWAYS here.  You could make book on any discussion on this forum veering away from the original topic within 10-15 posts.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
That's because we're easily distracted. The ADS Outpost.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
its proudly our "point of difference"  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »
How much is there to say about basses? Most of them are made of wood, they have strings and frets, some of them snap if you cough near them. That's about it really.  :o :o :o

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »
the fender p bass is the very definition of an electric bass and has proven itself for the past fifty some odd years in every type of music. plus they are nowhere as fragile as that other brand that gets much love around here.

I also hear that vanilla is the most popular ice cream in the world.  ;D

Good to have you back!
Half-speed Hawkwind

nofi

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »
thank you sir. i did not know anyone noticed i was gone except dave. ;)

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »
I just bought a reissue of Live at Leads which includes the complete show, the original only had 6 songs, this has two CD's, 2+ hours, includes the whole Tommy opera. If anyone here dislikes Fender P basses or thinks they are boring or dull sounding check out this CD, it'll probably change your mind. I actually liked Entwistle's sound when he played P basses the best.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »
I just bought a reissue of Live at Leads which includes the complete show, the original only had 6 songs, this has two CD's, 2+ hours, includes the whole Tommy opera. If anyone here dislikes Fender P basses or thinks they are boring or dull sounding check out this CD, it'll probably change your mind. I actually liked Entwistle's sound when he played P basses the best.

Who's Live at Leeds was recorded 39 years ago! Why not try and get a cool sound that's from TODAY? Nothing about Entwistle's playing or even his P-Bass is boring, really. But 4 decades of the same "standard" sound really can be. If I had unlimited money I would probably have someone make a bass for me and pickups even. Music is a celebration of the past, but sometimes I wish people would stop livin' in it!

And I'm not saying that's you or anyone else here, Bob. I'm talking to those lazy soundmen who keep this P-Bass Above-All-Else urban legend thing going. At the end of the day, any bass in the world will sing if the hands playing it will it to.
Half-speed Hawkwind

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »
Who's Live at Leeds was recorded 39 years ago! Why not try and get a cool sound that's from TODAY?

That would come across better if you were playing a 5-string active Spector or Warwick. When was the TBird introduced, 1963?

OK, I know what you said is not about you or me or anyone else, but I've got a Spector and I don't dislike it, but as a working bass I really prefer either of my Precisions. I agree with you about lazy sound guys, but I wouldn't take it out on the poor old P.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:22:32 AM by PhilT »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
39 years is nothing. acoustic instruments have sounded the same for hundreds of years.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Hornisse

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »
The 5 string bass I play is a custom made Jazz type bass made by my buddy Bill White.  I wanted an alder body 5 string bass with a maple neck and active/passive electronics.  It sounds like a Jazz bass and that tone is one of my favorites.  I love the tones other basses produce but for some reason a Jazz really cuts through the mix well.  And I love my 1983 Fullerton reissue P bass too.

www.zosguitars.com

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2009, 04:40:33 AM »
39 years is nothing. acoustic instruments have sounded the same for hundreds of years.

That is a pretty valid point ;D
Rick