Author Topic: Fav Riffs To Play  (Read 14762 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Fav Riffs To Play
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:06:05 PM »
I Love the 2 pronged attack of those Yamaha SG 3000's Mark. Beautiful guitars IMHO.

Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »

They were a great band.......very underrated here in the States.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:06 PM »
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »
Esteemed gentlemen,

But which version of Peter Gunn do you play? The common wrong one which is all in minor and - assuming a key of A - has the minor third as the final note before repeating the riff or - I read this in a bass mag, never really checked by listening to the original version - the supposed original which in deviation from the minor character of the riff slips in a surprising (but harmonically interesting) major third - C# - as the last note? The riff would then be in A:

A A    B A   C A   D C# (not C!)

If this is really true, than most people play it wrong!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »
Savatage went WILD with Hall o' the Mountain King!

Get this album for the definitive version:

The "definitive" version was defined by Edvard Grieg when he wrote the Peer Gynt suite.

You actually think that some wanky hair metal band using maybe 1% of the original and 99% wall of noise with weedly-weedly guitar is a "definitive" version of a piece of classical music?  :rolleyes: ???

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:12 AM »
I like playing 'born under a bad sign', it's a great bass line.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »
Uhum. Let's scrutinize this in depth musical analysis of Savatage a bit: Weedly-weedly. Wanky. Wall of noise. That's already four "W"s in a row. And hair metal. Of course. Where would we all be without our preconceptions.

Savatage were a largely old school heavy rock band with a strong melodic twist  that peaked in the eighties. They specialized in concept albums with somewhat grand orchestral arrangements. While their bassist was a blond pretty boy at the time, their lead singer and front man - Jon Oliva - was visibly overweight and unglamerous, he could have been a roadie with Molly Hatchet.  He had a fine tuneful voice and after the demise of Savatage which were perhaps not weedly-weedly, noise-wally and glam hairy enough for the US hard rock taste prevailing in the eighties (actually they were even a bit European) sings these days to a devoted cult following with his solo project, Jon Oliva's Pain or something. It is fittingly called thus as the man has health issues. So you can perhaps say that Savatage were pretentious, too dramatic and had a penchant for overwrought orchestral arrangements plus burdened with a fat singer. If I'm not mistaken, then Herr Grieg faced the first three criticisms too in his lifetime. Not sure whether he would have violently disapproved of Savatage's operatic metal though.

Jumping to conclusions can be a hard fall.

Uwe

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
When I get home, maybe I'll post the Apocalyptica version of Hall Of The Mountain King.  It seems to be a sort of compromise of both worlds.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
Uhum. Let's scrutinize this in depth musical analysis of Savatage a bit: Weedly-weedly. Wanky. Wall of noise. That's already four "W"s in a row. And hair metal. Of course. Where would we all be without our preconceptions.

Savatage were a largely old school heavy rock band with a strong melodic twist  that peaked in the eighties. They specialized in concept albums with somewhat grand orchestral arrangements. While their bassist was a blond pretty boy at the time, their lead singer and front man - Jon Oliva - was visibly overweight and unglamerous, he could have been a roadie with Molly Hatchet.  He had a fine tuneful voice and after the demise of Savatage which were perhaps not weedly-weedly, noise-wally and glam hairy enough for the US hard rock taste prevailing in the eighties (actually they were even a bit European) sings these days to a devoted cult following with his solo project, Jon Oliva's Pain or something. It is fittingly called thus as the man has health issues. So you can perhaps say that Savatage were pretentious, too dramatic and had a penchant for overwrought orchestral arrangements plus burdened with a fat singer. If I'm not mistaken, then Herr Grieg faced the first three criticisms too in his lifetime. Not sure whether he would have violently disapproved of Savatage's operatic metal though.

Jumping to conclusions can be a hard fall.

Uwe

I had no preconceptions. I had never heard of them before. Ever.

I formed an opinion based on what I heard and saw in that video. At least, as much of it as I could take. And I'll stand by it. You telling me a little of their history is fine but it doesn't trump my ears and eyes.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »
The "definitive" version was defined by Edvard Grieg when he wrote the Peer Gynt suite.

You actually think that some wanky hair metal band using maybe 1% of the original and 99% wall of noise with weedly-weedly guitar is a "definitive" version of a piece of classical music?  :rolleyes: ???

No, I meant the definitive version of Savatage's song called Hall of the Mountain King is their studio version, the title track of the album cover I posted.

Yes, Peer Gynt is more wonderful to some people, I understand that.
My mother loved it & the elementary schoolteacher who taught my class about it loved it.

And yes, personally I 'd rather listen to the psycho METAL song with Jon Oliva's wall of synths & Chris Oliva's shtedding on guitar!! :D
Chris Oliva RIP
To you it's wheedly noise, to me it's beautiful.
...but don't worry about it, I'm INSANE. That's why this song is so appealing to me.
It's INSANE too!!!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
I like playing 'born under a bad sign', it's a great bass line.

Aye~ The Greasiest Riff of All

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »
No, I meant the definitive version of Savatage's song called Hall of the Mountain King is their studio version, the title track of the album cover I posted.

Yes, Peer Gynt is more wonderful to some people, I understand that.
My mother loved it & the elementary schoolteacher who taught my class about it loved it.

And yes, personally I 'd rather listen to the psycho METAL song with Jon Oliva's wall of synths & Chris Oliva's shtedding on guitar!! :D
Chris Oliva RIP
To you it's wheedly noise, to me it's beautiful.
...but don't worry about it, I'm INSANE. That's why this song is so appealing to me.
It's INSANE too!!!

I see. Sorry about misinterpreting what you said.

Nothing insane about liking it. At least you're familiar with the original.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
The main bass riff of Cry Of Love's "Drive It Home" is a good one to jam on

Check out this superb live version of COL

Had to cut it on two because it's too long for You Tube

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »
I always play a few bars of Black Oak Arkansas, Jim Dandy "To The Rescue" during a sound check… especially if I’m rockin’ the EB.

Bring on the Nubiles

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
Ok, Dave, admittedly what you saw in the posted vid above is a later line up of Savatage, after Jon Oliva's health issues (and waist line) had ousted him from the band. They had become a vapid shadow of themselves, that couldn't give you an impression of what they once were. I didn't even recognize it was Savatage at first!

Classic Savatage is this:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/savatage-gutter-ballet-video/1072635508/?icid=VIDURVMUS10

And I know that's not your type of music either, which is alright, but it is neither hair metal, nor widdly-widdly. Probably owes more to early Styx than to Mötley Crüe.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:59:19 PM by uwe »