Author Topic: TOM PETERSSON Aluminum 12 String bass For Sale  (Read 8404 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
TOM PETERSSON Aluminum 12 String bass For Sale
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220972220596?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1987wt_949

It has EGC pickups in it...not the Mike Lull. VERY cool bass.....Probably the best 12 string bass out there.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: TOM PETERSSON Aluminum 12 String bass For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
It's certainly a head-turner. I don't care for the Mosrite-style extended lower horn, not that it matters since I'm a 4-string guy.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »
2012 built for Tom Petersen...why did he get rid of it so quickly?  Is he just having people build stuff to see if he likes it and sending it back?

For all the work that's in the bass it's a reasonable price IMO, TP connection is irrelevant.  You just have to like the bass.  I don't care for the pickup placement.  In my experience there wouldn't be enough difference in sound between the neck and other neck pickup to have them that close.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
2012 built for Tom Petersen...why did he get rid of it so quickly?  Is he just having people build stuff to see if he likes it and sending it back?

For all the work that's in the bass it's a reasonable price IMO, TP connection is irrelevant.  You just have to like the bass.  I don't care for the pickup placement.  In my experience there wouldn't be enough difference in sound between the neck and other neck pickup to have them that close.

The way I read it, this bass is new. They're saying the model was originally built for TP, not this particular bass.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
The way I read it, this bass is new. They're saying the model was originally built for TP, not this particular bass.
Thanks, Dave.  I checked the site and they do list "Tom Peterssons 12 string bass" as one of their models, $2800 with Lull pickups.  I still don't like the pickup placement ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
 Leaves me cold, no interest whatsoever. As if Travis Bean, Kramer and Veleno weren't enough.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
Leaves me cold, no interest whatsoever. As if Travis Bean, Kramer and Veleno weren't enough.

Gotta be a nightmare to keep in tune under stage lighting.  Plexi Dan Armstrongs were bad enough.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:07 AM »
I kind of like it. It's growing on me. I've always been interested in their basses though. Looks like they'd build a custom for the same money. I'd love an 8 string in this RD shape.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
Kevin is a very nice guy and he will build anything you want.....May have o wait a few months...I'm thinking...Reverse Thunderbird  8 string bass........

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »

I think he (TP) really likes that pickup placement, it's pretty much like his Lull Sig. Mike says it's "wooley and out of phase".

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
I have to agree with Tom...That placement rules....I will never build another bass with a pickup near the bridge. BUT-UP against the neck sounds amazing!!! As long as it's not a Mudbucker. MY Opinion. And Tom was a Hell of a guy to let me pay the Lull bass, the EGC 12ver during soundcheck and all the other basses...including one of my old White '64 T Birds. f***ing Love that guy!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
You can see Tom's EGC bass in this clip from last September

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
I played Petersson's bass too, and it's awesome. Those things are hollow. Very interesting and different approach than Bean/Kramer. I like having a pickup right at the neck. The EGC sounded better then the Lull live.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »

Damn that's so nice; looks like the kinda thing they'd have melted the new Terminator down in T2 to make  ;D