Author Topic: Flea has gotten all Gene Simmons on us.  (Read 8960 times)

Blazer

Flea has gotten all Gene Simmons on us.
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:37:57 PM »
I told the story before how Gene Simmons was working with BC Rich to develop a signature model called the Punisher but how the Prototypes he got from them were Sub-par to say the least. So Mr. Simmons being the money junkie he is, blew the deal off and subsequently had Punisher basses made under his own name, knowing that if people were going to pay money for a bass with his name on it, it better be good.

Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is now doing more or less the same. Having endorsed Modulus basses since the late nineties, he quickly found out that not all his fans could afford the Modulus Flea bass and he hated to see his fans getting stuck with sub-par instruments because of not being able to afford better. So Flea got together with his long time tech and made a plan to have instruments made in China under Flea's name to flea's exact specs making it possible to own the bass that Flea plays for under half a grand. The resulting bass will come in full scale and short scale versions in an array of ...err... unique color combinations.

Curiously, Flea's new bass ows a LOT to the Musicman Stingray's he used to play...

Flea at the Namm with his new "Fleabass"

And when I say "The bass that Flea plays for under a grand" I really do mean the bass Flea plays because if we are gonna believe the Modulus site...
http://www.modulusguitars.com/v3/funk_unlimited.php
...It will take something serious before we see Flea on stage with a Modulus again...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Flea has gotten all Gene Simmons on us.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
If he can manage to get his fans a good bass for under $500, more power to him.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
I can't believe I am saying this, I kinda like 'em ! I love simple one pickup basses. The colors are a bit much for me, maybe a black one. I like the little face cartoon on the headstock.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »
I wonder if it comes with a sock.  ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »
LMAO I can see the goody bag. Cord, strap and for the polishing cloth a sock ! Seriously I should be in marketing.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
That's not a bad idea actually  ;)

I like the bright colors, very hippie. All my basses and guitars are either black, white or sunburst :bored: BORING! I can see myself with the blue/orange or the green/pink.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »

Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:50:54 PM »

I'm Ummmm....................... not likin' that bass too much, the sock would be it's saving grace.

Just me tho................. ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Blazer

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:54:01 AM »
I'm Ummmm....................... not likin' that bass too much, the sock would be it's saving grace.

Just me tho................. ;)

That would be the ultimate thing for you to do on stage: Lift your skirt up and revealing a sock.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
I kinda like the pickup placement on those basses.  I had an OLP that was a nice bass, but I didn't like the single pickup right next to the bridge.  I think that placement will sound better.

Not really a fan of the colors, though.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
I think its great. I would love to try one out.

The color choices are nice, I'm loving the tangerine thing they got going. Its a nice change from the standard sunburst, black, white, etc.

The only gripe I have is the pickguard looks like it may be glued on. But other then that I would love to try one.
Are you real, Frank!?

Blazer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
I kinda like the pickup placement on those basses.  I had an OLP that was a nice bass, but I didn't like the single pickup right next to the bridge.  I think that placement will sound better.

Okay...

This is an OLP Stingray

These are a Modulus Flea Signature bass and a Fleabass.

All of them share the same pickup placement, so I wonder why you couldn't live with the OLP but think you could live with the exact same pickup placement on a Fleabass.  ???

nofi

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
uh, the pickup's smaller on the flea? what do i win, monty. :bored:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
I think my memory of the OLP pickup placement was faulty!  Thanks for correcting my error.

Actually, I sold the OLP because I have a '63 P and a 2000 MIM Jazz and IMO the OLP wasn't doing anything for me that the Fenders weren't - and it was pretty heavy.  I liked the color, but otherwise it didn't do anything special for me.I just decided that I wanted an Epi EB-3 more than the OLP.

And it WAS pretty....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 06:05:59 AM »
I'm with Mark: I would have to be desperate to play those things, they are butt-ugly, and not even in a touching way. Look like toys.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...