Author Topic: Totally not my cup of tea...  (Read 7325 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Totally not my cup of tea...
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
I'm not sure about the nut width. I don't have the basses here anymore. But I will ask the guy that bought them, if he can check the nut width for me.
As well as the scale length.

I'm afraid I don't hold any stock at all. I only order whenever someone places an order with me.

It usually takes two weeks (from the moment I've receiced the payment) for a bass to arrive at my address.
The I check the bass and give it a quick set up if necessary. Then I send it to the USA. It takes three days to arrive.

People outside Europe pay import taxes to customs in their own country. It depends where you live how much VAT you have to pay.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
When it comes to nut width I like mine close together, anything else tends to chafe.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
You're nuts Uwe  ;D

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
its enough to grind your gonads.
Louder bass!.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 02:01:38 PM »
Interesting - these are the first relatively negative things I've ever seen written about the Cirrus - not that I've been around bass circles very long...

It's not a bad bass by any means, but it has no inherent personality. It was Peavey's (too late) attempt to cash in on the the 90's coffee-table bass craze. They are very playable but completely forgettable because there's nothing they do that any moderately priced import active, neck-through bass can't, and they carry a high price tag. All one needs do is look at their resale value, which is terrible for a US made instrument, even for Peavey. They're not dog basses, just not worth the asking price. The BaCH demonstrates that in spades.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »
Peavey never bring out junk.

We here probably overestimate what individuality means to the bass community at large - I know enough bassists (though not in this forum) that want a versatile bass (whatever that is, discuss), comfortable to play, with active electronics to tickle the best sound out of it if the rig can't do it, these people are perfectly happy with their Warwick, Ibanez or Peavey and don't understand why anybody would want to play an instrument as idiosyncratic as say a Ric, an EB-3 or a Thunderbird. And I believe the majority of bassists actually think like that. We're a minority here.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »
40years or so ago, when I bought my first precision, I was told that it was the best bass, and that I would need no other...i've had maybe 25 or 30 basses since (maybe more), and I'm coming to the conclusion that's correct.  Doesn't solve the gas...there's a Guild Pilot in Craigslist that has my eye.  Hopefully I will let it pass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
The enduring (and deserved) popularity of the P-Bass is in itself proof that bassists prefer an immediately identifiable and uncomplicated sound to any form of individuality.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
Peavey never bring out junk.

There generally are merits to even their cheapest instruments, but I assure you, they've put out plenty of electronics and instruments that best serve as boat anchors.

We here probably overestimate what individuality means to the bass community at large - I know enough bassists (though not in this forum) that want a versatile bass (whatever that is, discuss), comfortable to play, with active electronics to tickle the best sound out of it if the rig can't do it, these people are perfectly happy with their Warwick, Ibanez or Peavey and don't understand why anybody would want to play an instrument as idiosyncratic as say a Ric, an EB-3 or a Thunderbird. And I believe the majority of bassists actually think like that. We're a minority here.

I'll have to disagree. For years, bass publications heavily touted the idea that if you weren't a multi-genre sight reading session player, you were a failure on some level, yet the marketplace has shown that idiosyncratic basses actually tend to sell better, unless they're Gibson. (Then ESP or Epi gets the sale.) For all the minor cosmetic variations on the Fender P and J that Fender puts out, there are usually very distinct tonal differences between them, and most famous bass players often made their mark on instruments that were anything but generic: Jack Cassidy, Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Cliff Burton, Lemmy, Flea... etc

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 06:43:16 AM »
The individuality is in the player, not the bass.  The bass is just a chunk of dead wood.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:02 AM »
The individuality is in the player, not the bass.  The bass is just a chunk of dead wood.
Amen.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
The individuality is in the player, not the bass.  The bass is just a chunk of dead wood.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. A good instrument inspires its owner to play better while a bad one inspires its owner to stop playing. A bass is an expressive tool, and depending on the job requirement, needs to fit that role. All of the players I mentioned are identified with a particular syle of instrument because that instrument's inherent characteristics influenced both how and what was played on them. Musicality is in the hands of the player, yes, but their instrument is the means that conveys it, and like any "transducer," it leaves its own mark. Otherwise, why would the best singers in the world still be using fragile and esoteric mics from the 30's-50's in the studio when just any ol' SM58 would do the trick?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
The bass is inanimate but there's no doubt the right bass inspires and influences players. Not just with basses, with any instrument.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
Sorry, but that's just not the case. A good instrument inspires its owner to play better while a bad one inspires its owner to stop playing. A bass is an expressive tool, and depending on the job requirement, needs to fit that role. All of the players I mentioned are identified with a particular syle of instrument because that instrument's inherent characteristics influenced both how and what was played on them. Musicality is in the hands of the player, yes, but their instrument is the means that conveys it, and like any "transducer," it leaves its own mark. Otherwise, why would the best singers in the world still be using fragile and esoteric mics from the 30's-50's in the studio when just any ol' SM58 would do the trick?

True and false. Once you have played for, say, ten years or so you should be able to sound like yourself within one minute of getting a properly set up and working budget bass over a budget amp. If you are unable to at least fake your sound with an, say Epi bass and a Peavey amp, you should really be a guitarist who fall into desperation when they can't have "their" guitar and "their" amp, these wretched ones. I'm Uwe Hornung over any type of bass and any amp as long as the darn things work and people who know me will immediately recognize my style, my timing, my vibrato, my bending, my attack and my choice of notes.

But that is not to say that an instrument that you are in love with can't inspire you for those extra 10%. But at the same time, a bass that feels weird and unaccustomed can inspire you too by forcing you to leave your comfort zone.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:59 AM »
The basses I like best play themselves.  I'm just the medium.

If I don't like the bass, I have to work at it.