Author Topic: Gretsch GAS strikes!  (Read 10879 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gretsch GAS strikes!
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
Measuring from the bridge or the tail piece?

Hopefully measuring from the nut to the 12th fret x 2.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
...and it feels even bigger, a huge plus IMO. I've never cared for "shortscale" basses. I bought the SX thinking it was a full-sized instrument, and it's been a nice challenge to try and adapt my ungodly aggressive playing to a more pliant string. If I hadn't known the Gretsch was 32", I would have sworn it was 34" by the feel, both in string tension and neck positioning. I played it awhile unplugged. If the electric sound had been half what the acoustic response was, it would have been a monster.

I'm thinking that the pickups were either seriously miswired or shorted somewhere. There's a 70's 6070 Gretsch there that looks to have the same TV Jones Thundertron. Even with its baseball bat neck and shitty tuners, it still sounds like you'd expect: a big round bass tone.  I A/B'ed the two and the constrast could hardly have been greater.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
Hopefully measuring from the nut to the 12th fret x 2.

Everybody's a critic!  ;D

Measuring from the bridge or the tail piece?

Measured directly from fret side of nut to saddles on the bridge. And I like the poem/limerick!!

Incidentally, although I may bring the strings down just a hair, the setup wasn't bad.  I pulled the foam out from under the bridge and re-intonated it, and I had to raise the neck pickup about 1/4".  It was putting out much less volume than the bridge pickup, and it just took a a glance to see that it was much farther from the strings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."