Author Topic: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality  (Read 67508 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
I'm not against 3 point bridges, in fact on some basses I wouldn't have anything else. I'm not even against Gibson making certain improvements to the instrument. A volute maybe? and the smaller headstock makes sense to me. I could also understand them putting modern style forward tuners instead of the reverse ones. So I dont think I qualify as a purist but the 2 piece bridge just has such an impact on the styling of that bass! I'm scared to ask opinions of weather or not there is a tonal difference  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »

Well, there is precedent...  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 01:18:33 AM »
But Herr Carlston! Stringholder and three point is belt and suspenders and looks crowded. If you must anchor the strings somewhere else use string-thru for Chrisssssakes!

String thru is a design aspect I always like. Not because it does wonders for sound - it doesn't -, but because it looks good. And has the side effect of doing away with rattling strings on saddles no matter how low you go with the bridge. To be fair, a separate stringholder with a three point will do that too as the stringholder is alway going to be lower than a three point even at its lowest setting.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
But Herr Carlston! Stringholder and three point is belt and suspenders and looks crowded. If you must anchor the strings somewhere else use string-thru for Chrisssssakes!

String thru is a design aspect I always like. Not because it does wonders for sound - it doesn't -, but because it looks good. And has the side effect of doing away with rattling strings on saddles no matter how low you go with the bridge. To be fair, a separate stringholder with a three point will do that too as the stringholder is alway going to be lower than a three point even at its lowest setting.

Agree on both. Also string-thru can teach some manners to some rudy 3-point bridge posts that wanna get liberated from their positions! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
Present day my ass!

Leftover black hardware from the '80s!?   ;)

I just have the feeling this isn't going to please either camp - modernist or tradionalist.

I'll ride the fence...............kinda like my sexuality, grass is green on both sides  ;D

If you have not been out in the world you would know the 80's is back in style. Neon colors and Black. Does not mean I like that look, but Gibson is in fashion now. Hold on to that old shirt or tie and it comes back again.
 ;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2012, 08:50:06 AM »
If you have not been out in the world you would know the 80's is back in style. Neon colors and Black. Does not mean I like that look, but Gibson is in fashion now. Hold on to that old shirt or tie and it comes back again.
 ;)

I'm going to disagree with you John, I'll give you two examples.

- Automobiles, look at just about anything current and you'll see some chrome on grilles, wheels etc.

- I work in the Lighting Industry, guess which finish is the most sought after, hottest thing for fixture finish - Chrome, and Polished Nickel. Black isn't quite dead as a color for fixtures (Gold is dead) and interior appointments but there's precious little.
 Honestly, I see far more interest in what's called "mid-century modern" based in no small part on the popularity of "Mad Men".

- If we look at fashion, I'd say you' re mush closer to the mark with your '80s comment, and I love '80 fashion, especially girls wearing boots and tights  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »
Regardless of other trends, where have any of you noticed a trend back to black hardware on guitars and basses? I sure haven't.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
I like black trim on sports cars and sedans, etc. But chrome looked best on '60s cars, especially when the paint was metallic. I think (and hope) some chrome makes it onto these NRs. The Pelham Blue especially would look good with chrome hardware.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
I'm thinking I'm going to like the Pelham Blue with black hardware. And if they would do Cardinal Red with black hardware that would kick major ass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »
Unless it's a vintage model, chrome looks cheap and old-fashioned on a modern car these days. And black hardware on basses is still a feature on a quite a few new boutique basses as well. I find it more of a design statement than clobbering on some chrome. With unfinished wood it goes together extremely well. Nature knows black, but it doesn't know chrome - Silver Surfer excepted of course.

I want a neon color TB with pitch-black hardware!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »

trend setter!  :P
Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 05:24:06 AM »
A hot pink Tbird with black hardware would kick ass.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 06:02:51 AM »
So would a Hello Kitty Bass  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »
Unless it's a vintage model, chrome looks cheap and old-fashioned on a modern car these days. And black hardware on basses is still a feature on a quite a few new boutique basses as well. I find it more of a design statement than clobbering on some chrome. With unfinished wood it goes together extremely well. Nature knows black, but it doesn't know chrome - Silver Surfer excepted of course.

Chrome looks great on my Ford Ranger and it's certainly not vintage.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »

Black, in the truest sense does not exsist in nature either. Something can be black but for the human eye to see it, light must strike it, as soon as that happens it becomes a shade of black i.e very dark gray.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...