Author Topic: Gibson Left-Handed L9S Ripper Bass  (Read 2548 times)

LeftyRipperBass

• View Profile
Gibson Left-Handed L9S Ripper Bass
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:41:37 AM »
Hello Guys, I am new to the forum. I have a Gibson Left-Handed Ripper Bass Serial# 80810062  Black, Engraved USA. w/ Original Gibson case.
The story is back when I ordered the bass left-handed my friend owned a musical instrument retail store (Bandstand Music) and he was a new Gibson dealer. They told him they did not make the Ripper anymore but since it was a left handed order and they had to special setup for it anyway and that he was a new dealer they would make one more. It was to take 6 months, apparently did not pass inspection, and took another 6 months, but after 1 year and almost giving up it was delivered. I have never looked into trying to validate the story. I played bass in the late 70's to the mid 80's then started my own Used Guitar Shop and Recording Studio in Augusta GA in 1985. which I closed in 1990, got married, and with 2 kids later, the bass has been stored under my bed for 25 years with just bringing it out a few times a year. I decided to finally look into the story of it being the last one made and from what I have been told there were no left handed Ripper Basses known to be made? Well I have one. So, is it the only left-handed Ripper in existence? Can anyone here add to the mystery? I would like to validate with Gibson if anyone can lead me to the right person. Thanks in advance for any feedback. http://www.leftybassist.com/download/file.php?id=5056
http://www.leftybassist.com/download/file.php?id=5057
http://www.leftybassist.com/download/file.php?id=5058

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Gibson Left-Handed L9S Ripper Bass
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
Welcome aboard.
Very cool story. You must be the only one on the planet with a lefty Ripper.
Certainly the first I have ever seen.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
Don't know anything about it, but she's a beaut.  Welcome.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »
If my eyesight is right, that serial number is from Kalamazoo. I doubt that Gibson would be of much help, but there are still a few people working at Heritage Guitar in Kalamazoo who worked for Gibson back then. You could contact them and ask.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »
Damn, I wondered if any of those were ever built. Very cool and congrats on having a rare bass!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
Has to make your bass one of the rarest Gibson basses. Very special.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
I have an (early) 81 righty Ripper, my understanding was that they were built until 81 with a few possibly creeping out still in 82, there were Grabbers and G-3s still being built as late as late 1982 (though not many) when Gibson was already pushing the Victory as the follow-up to RDs (which had already been intended to replace the Ripper as the "variable bass" for the more discerning player, but failed to generate the necessary sales) and Rippers. They had modifications such as ebony boards or three piece necks to the previous maple board and one-piece-neck Grabbers and G-3s.

That doesn't make your model any less rare, I've never laid eyes on a leftie Rippie before nor am I aware of a lefty Ripper-playing name musician (except you of course!) who might have had the luck that Gibson would have built him one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:37:34 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

A.D.Fairhurst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:08:49 PM »
The guy from Devo would not be proud...unless you mangled it and cut off the horns. Then he'd be proud...I still don't recommend it.