Author Topic: A couple basses finally ready  (Read 7815 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: A couple basses finally ready
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »
Huge disappointment today.  :-\. Started installing hardware and the clear coat is chipping off every place there's an edge, like tuner holes, control pot holes, neck pocket.  Gonna contact the finisher to see what's up.  The clear is a catalyzed lacquer and it isn't sticking to the paint coat at the edges.  What's up with that?   >:(
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 02:07:03 PM »
I believe "bummer" is the correct vernacular for you Colonial types... :-\

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as that's what I've just used on my RD... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Correct, humongous bummer.  It's weird Kenny.  The clear isn't sticking to the undercoat at the edges.  Never seen anything like it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:09:53 PM by drbassman »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
I have... a similar weakness appears to be present in the PC's fin, which is something I've yet to consider... at least, in my case, it shows mojo, but not for a new work such as yours...

Carlo, Rob, Joe, Brad, et-al... opinions...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
Sounds like something in the prep stage may have been missed. OTOH I don't know how catalyzed lacquer is supposed to be prepped.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »
Just at a curing catalyst and use promptly - just like any two-part mix - the stuff I used on the RD (acrylic) came in a rattle-can and you just had a separate plunger in the base - "crack" the seal, shake for 2 minutes, rest for 10, use within 6 hours... checked mine this morning and it looks like I'm a goer for polishing... no tackiness and it feels "set"...
The nitro. again rattle-can, I used on the AD was "pre-cat" so presume the reaction is once in contact with air... that had the last coat yesterday afternoon and feels same as the RD...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 03:46:01 AM »
Hope all works out for everyone.

IMO the best bet  for a successful paint job is to make sure the various layers are compatible and correctly prepared to bond with each other.  For example, I've had problems with clear nitro lacquer over acrylic lacquer.  The nitro shrinks, the acrylic doesn't and cracks are the result.

What's important is the actual chemistry of each component, no matter what the front of the can says.  Most times you have a better chance of success using one manufacturer's products from start to finish.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:07 AM »
I agree with you Carlo.  Something isn't right with the base and the top coats.  The top just isn't sticking to the bass as it should.  We'll see what he says, going call him later this morning.  I sent a text and no reply.  I hope he's not avoiding me!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »
Send the boys round, Bill... either that or a fish wrapped in old newspaper... :vader:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
Took the bass over to the finisher and we fixed it.  The big issue is the stuff goes on pretty thick and all of the holes have to be cleaned out carefully.  Got a quick lesson on that and I think we're good now.  Fixed the couple chips with CA.  I love the finish, but I'm still not impressed with the edges around any holes.  A bit too delicate there for my liking.  I'll have him do a couple more and if it's a continuing issue, I might seek out another source.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
Doc, been a long time . I love the fact that you are doing what you love . The logo is awesome. Cant wait to see the finished piece.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 09:21:17 PM »
Definitely a bummer, and a big +1 to following the manufacturer's finishing schedule recommendations.

Basecoat/clearcoat systems can be very finicky, and it seems as though there are infinitely many ways to mess things up.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 05:48:23 AM »
Doc, been a long time . I love the fact that you are doing what you love . The logo is awesome. Cant wait to see the finished piece.M

Hey Shadow, great to hear from you!  Yeah, I'm working toward my hobby shop and a second retirement.  I'm seriously thinking about packing in the work gig January 1st.  Then I can build full time and goof off in between!   How have you been?  ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:22 AM »
Definitely a bummer, and a big +1 to following the manufacturer's finishing schedule recommendations.

Basecoat/clearcoat systems can be very finicky, and it seems as though there are infinitely many ways to mess things up.

For sure.  I have a better understanding of how his system works and I think it will be OK for me.  I did mess up the finish installing a tuner, so the neck goes back to him early next week.  Ugh.  The body, however is almost put together.  Slow but determined I am!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:10 AM »
OK, I'm still assembling #1 but #2 is back from the finisher.  It's all done except for headstock logo.  I've had a logo fail and need to order some new ones.  Once I get them, it will be applied to this bass.  This is the cherry top and back with mahogany sides, mahogany neck.  I might have a hard time letting this one go!