Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 12809 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Getting old
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
One odd side effect for a lot of people who were kids in the 70s, is that between Happy Days and Sha Na Na, you have as much familiarity with 50s tunes as the stuff that was new then.  Granted, if you had to choose between Anson Williams crucifying a Doo Wop classic or Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, nobody wins.  But I still dig Bowser, Jocko, Lenny, etc.

Growing up in the 50s we didn't have 30s nostalgia shows or acts. OTOH if your parents or grandparents loved music, you got exposed to a lot of older music. I know I did.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
My parents were both musical, but there weren't many records in the house.  We only had a tiny record player.  The one record I remember was one that my dad brought back from Okinawa.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Growing up in the 50s we didn't have 30s nostalgia shows or acts. OTOH if your parents or grandparents loved music, you got exposed to a lot of older music. I know I did.
Similarly, I get up listening to oldies since my dad took control of the radio and always had it set to K-EARTH 101. It was a time before iPods and MP3s and while I did have a portable CD player, I rarely used it since I didn't have a lot of CDs.

Edit: I just thought of something I want to add to this thread. I have gotten into the habit of watching TED talks on my iPad instead of finding meaningless TV shows on. This talk by Sir  Ken Robinson came up for me this time about a learning revolution. In it, he makes a point to ask the audience how many of them are over 25 and how many of them are wearing wrist watches. His point behind that is that people under 25 don't mainly because they don't see a reason to since this is the digital age now.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:21:09 AM by Big D Bassist »
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
Similarly, I get up listening to oldies since my dad took control of the radio and always had it set to K-EARTH 101. It was a time before iPods and MP3s and while I did have a portable CD player, I rarely used it since I didn't have a lot of CDs.

Edit: I just thought of something I want to add to this thread. I have gotten into the habit of watching TED talks on my iPad instead of finding meaningless TV shows on. This talk by Sir  Ken Robinson came up for me this time about a learning revolution. In it, he makes a point to ask the audience how many of them are over 25 and how many of them are wearing wrist watches. His point behind that is that people under 25 don't mainly because they don't see a reason to since this is the digital age now.

I listened to that talk by Sir Ken. He makes a lot of good points about the state of education. Unfortunately what he's proposing is an uphill battle.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
Advice to all...
Just go listen to Foghat Live - you'll feel a lot better.
Oh, and if you have teenagers, tell them how much you like their shirt/hat/skinny jeans, and are thinking of buying some for yourself - just for kicking around town in. Works every time!
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
Advice to all...
Just go listen to Foghat Live - you'll feel a lot better.

As it happens I was going through a Foghat phase last week. I get to listen to a lot of music due to an hours drive along a freeway between home and work each day. Last weeks feature band was Foghat. Albums played included:
Foghat
Energized
Rock and Roll Outlaws
Fool for the city
Tight Shoes (yes I actually played the whole album)
and of course LIVE.

I guess this just proves my Oldness  :)
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »
As it happens I was going through a Foghat phase last week. I get to listen to a lot of music due to an hours drive along a freeway between home and work each day. Last weeks feature band was Foghat. Albums played included:
Foghat
Energized
Rock and Roll Outlaws
Fool for the city
Tight Shoes (yes I actually played the whole album)
and of course LIVE.

I guess this just proves my Oldness  :)

One of my favorites from them was In The Mood For Something Rude.  Both albums with Nick Jameson behind the bass and the board were among their very best.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
I have plenty of music that makes me feel good. I don't need to feel better or younger.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
One of my favorites from them was In The Mood For Something Rude.  Both albums with Nick Jameson behind the bass and the board were among their very best.

Yes, Foghat bassist and president of Russia (TV series "24")
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »
The first eight Foghat CD's LIVE on my ipod and get regular outings on my longer trips - more often than not the last few months...

A newer live set called "Road Cases" featuring the original lineup when they first reformed is very worth a listen - small crowd - club atmosphere - great set - plus a couple of new studio tracks...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »
How did this turn into a Foghat thread?  ???

Time for my nap.  :bored:

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
I have a Foghat DVD, "Foghat LIVE two centuries of boogie". It must have been one of the last performances before Lonesome Dave passed away. He died ten years ago or so, that makes me feel old..... :sad:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 11:11:19 PM »
I have a Foghat DVD, "Foghat LIVE two centuries of boogie". It must have been one of the last performances before Lonesome Dave passed away. He died ten years ago or so, that makes me feel old..... :sad:

Nice segue back to topic Grog  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
I went for a 2-mile walk around the local lake with my wife last night, and for the last half-mile the ball of my right foot felt like a giant bruise. This morning my right knee was cranky, too.

But getting enough caffeine down helped.  I shouldn't complain - having cranky feet and orthotics isn't nearly as bad as stuff that many people put up with.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
Age related issue for me too - I forgot "Boogie Motel", and the Road Cases set - that makes ten Foghat's on the iPod...

I need my meds...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...