Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 12760 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Getting old
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
You are old when your 40 year old son can relate to that comic as well as you can.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
Good comic, though I take exception to the idea that Gen Xer's would try to be ambassadors of grunge. We got just as tired of it as everyone else. There was also always, at least to my perception, a certain air of superiority to the hippies about music, sex, drugs, and just about everything else that if everyone would just come around to that way of thinking, all the world's problems would cease. Most of my friends my age are just glad we're still alive and hoping desperately that the current generation is as ill-prepared for the workforce as they appear so that we might have half a hope of one day working for an almost living wage.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »
Funny how I went from Lou Christie and The Beach Boys to Black Sabbath, Cream and Johnny Winter in a mere 7 years.

And how you stuck to blues-rock for the next 40 years ....  ;D  Yes, I can relate to that ......  ;) With me it was from Buddy Holly, the Everly's & Ricky Nelson into John Mayall, Cream & Tim Buckley in about the same period of time ...... Started out in a power-trio in 1968 and, upto this summer, been playing in a power-trio for last 15 years .....
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
Good comic, though I take exception to the idea that Gen Xer's would try to be ambassadors of grunge. We got just as tired of it as everyone else. There was also always, at least to my perception, a certain air of superiority to the hippies about music, sex, drugs, and just about everything else that if everyone would just come around to that way of thinking, all the world's problems would cease. Most of my friends my age are just glad we're still alive and hoping desperately that the current generation is as ill-prepared for the workforce as they appear so that we might have half a hope of one day working for an almost living wage.

It's that way with every generation, I think. I cringe when I hear news people talk about the boomer generation as if we all liked the same things then and now. Yep, we all liked hippie music and acid rock, all of us marched against various injustices in our long hair and funky clothes, and now we're all well to do and have betrayed those ideals. In the real world, people who fit that description were a small minority. Most of them seem to be in the news media now.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
It's that way with every generation, I think. I cringe when I hear news people talk about the boomer generation as if we all liked the same things then and now. Yep, we all liked hippie music and acid rock, all of us marched against various injustices in our long hair and funky clothes, and now we're all well to do and have betrayed those ideals. In the real world, people who fit that description were a small minority. Most of them seem to be in the news media now.

Yeah, we were the ultimate non-conformists.  We were going to show our parents what individuality was - all dressed in hiking boots, torn jeans, plaid flannel shirts and our arctic parkas.  Nothing conformist about us.   ;D

I think it's funny how my kids' generation "rebelled" by stealing all the clothes and style from my generation.  Now, every parent thinks their teen-ager is "cute".  The new generation learned their lessons well, and are using them against us.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
You are old when you're wife "gives" you a nose hair trimmer ???  WTF!  When did my nose hair start growing out of my nostrils!  Plus, it really smarts when your 20 year old daughter says "Ewwww, you have GREY nose hairs hanging out of your nose!"   ;D

I can relate! I have one too in the bathroom.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
I trim my nose hairs and mustache, but for the past few years have come to rely on my barber for eyebrow trims and removal of extraneous hairs off the ears in addition to the old head hair. I tip him every time so he keeps me looking somewhat acceptable. Earlier this year and seemingly overnight, I developed gray patches in my eyebrows in the same place on both sides. To me, a true sign of getting old is hurting yourself while sleeping. I've risen in the mornings on a few occaisions with a lame right shoulder. I have remedied this (I hope!) by investing in a new mattress a couple of weeks ago. The new Beautyrest is more comfortable, less likely to impair circulation, but has not so far made me any more attractive...  ;)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
I must be a masochist because I pluck my nose and ear hair, usuually while watching "Dexter." If I don't, I get my mustache 'fencing' with the nose hair and it tickles like crazy all the time. Growing my "hair" hair long also covered all my gray. I have this weird new problem where my eyebrow hairs have suddenly just started growing extremely long. I just trim those.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
I mostly feel old when I watch hockey.  I grew up watching guys with no helmets and sideburns play on rinks with no ads on the boards, and using sticks with flat blades.  A lot of them drank and smoked.  It was more fun, and fewer concusions.

Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
I mostly feel old when I watch hockey.  I grew up watching guys with no helmets and sideburns play on rinks with no ads on the boards, and using sticks with flat blades.  A lot of them drank and smoked.  It was more fun, and fewer concusions.

But more stitches and fewer teeth.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
I'm wondering how this thread is going to make it from the trimming of nose hairs to our usual subjects  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
I'm wondering how this thread is going to make it from the trimming of nose hairs to our usual subjects  ;D

Door now opened...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
Door now opened...

yeah, its hard not to create a self fulfilling prophecy by just asking the question really  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
I remember an exchange on one of my favorite TV shows of some years ago, "Night Court".

Harry was complaining about turning 40, and Dan, doing his normal suck-up, argued that he looked great.

At which time Harry pointed to his ear and said "Oh, really?? Look!  EAR HAIR!"

And Dan screamed and yelled  '"Oh my God, are you sure you're ONLY 40??"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 06:08:14 AM »
Although I'm 47 I sometimes feel old:

When I remember watching "The Smothers Brothers" and wondered what the sudden blanks in sound was. Much later I realized those were the moments when they were censored. Later, in college I saw them perform at NC State.

When I realize my girlfriend is 20 years younger than me and that I'm older than her mom. I get to tell her to respect her elders.  ;D

Remembering that I knew someone who was born the same year Custer was killed at Little Bighorn.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.