Author Topic: EpiFenderTVbird  (Read 2898 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: EpiFenderTVbird
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
I dig it.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
I do too and I believe him when he says he has that much invested in it. OTOH I'll be surprised if he gets his starting bid.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »
Cool looking bass, but I think Dave is right about his pricing. To most people it is a parts bass.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
Cool looking bass, but I think Dave is right about his pricing. To most people it is a parts bass.

Yup. I'd start it at $800.  :-\

Very nicely done. The color, white knobs and pickguard, and pearl inlays work well.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
I like everything but the color...................................and the price.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:47:07 AM »
not sure i like the rosewood with blocks neck on it.  love those  block necks but they seem to belong on a j bass only....

price is way too high
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:57 AM »
Those Strat knobs .....  :sad:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
I confess that I'm not a T-Bird fan in general (apologies for the heresy) but THAT one is very, very cool!!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
 :popcorn:
Market Research...I hope it sells. ;D

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »
In general that's a spiffy bass. Although I don't like the color, I do like the Jazz neck on it and almost went for one for my Fenderbird but decided I really wanted a maple rather than rosewood. Looking at it, I have about as much in mine as his starting price.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »
I like it! Having made something similar I can attest to easily getting that much money tied up in it. I' m sure that one is a much better bass all around than the stock Epi, ESP. The neck
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
I'm a sucker for a bound and blocked J-neck. While I'm not crazy about the Epi DNA as relates to the asking price, this is one Fenderbird that hasn't been done to death already, so he gets points for that. I wonder how the TVJs sound...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
I'm not normally a big NR fan, but I dig that bass. I've always liked that color and most of its variations, and the Jazz neck is more appealing to me than a Precision profile. The Epi body is the only negative for me. If I get a T-Bird of any shade, it will have a hog body.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
In general that's a spiffy bass. Although I don't like the color, I do like the Jazz neck on it and almost went for one for my Fenderbird but decided I really wanted a maple rather than rosewood. Looking at it, I have about as much in mine as his starting price.

Denis, you have a genuine vintage Gibson body and hardware/electronics, MIA vintage neck, not a Mexican RI.  If this one is worth $1200, yours is worth $1800 at least.

IMHO, once you put parts on a bass, unless they are vintage, they're just used parts and worth no more than 1/2 their original retail cost, which was their wholesale cost to a builder.  What the owner has in it has almost zero to do with its actual value on the resale market.  A used Epi body can be had for $100 or less, that neck for around $200...how much for the other parts, labor and paint?  Since nothing on that bass is vintage you could  have it custom made for a lot less than his opening bid.  Parts is Parts.