Author Topic: The Coverdale controversy continues...  (Read 12827 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
The Coverdale controversy continues...
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:29:38 AM »
...and apparently he's pulled out all the stops to refute the claims. There's a line here that cuts real deep - well, at least down to the scalp...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=118394
and the earlier
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/Blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=118313
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The Coverdale controversy continues...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:21 AM »
Terry ... is Terry around?  :-X :-X :-X

As he's not around let me say this:

No one can explain to me why Coverdale's voice sounds sometimes youthfully spot-on and then again hoarse and broken during one performance of one song in one key on one night. Unless the voice comes from two different sources. Nuff said (or sung and played back). Coverdale could never sing Still of the Night well live, even in the late eighties, it was a one-off studio high performance shortly after his successful throat operation (his voice hasn't been the same live since then). Jon Lord - who played with Coverdale for nearly a decade all in all (Deep Purple and Whitesnake) and soothed a then still shy and nervous David Coverdale at his first audition with da Purps in 1973 by playing piano ballads to him and inviting him to sing along - once winced when hearing the Coverdale/Page album: "David has this rich baritone voice like nobody else in the business yet insists on pushing his voice into Robert Plant stratosphere - it pains me just to listen to it. He should realize that he is David Coverdale, not Robert Plant."

Turner having witnessed it and saying what he says gives credibility to the whole thing. Turner has no axe to grind with Coverdale, he always said nice and complimentary things about him (unlike about Ian Gillan). And while Turner can act like a real Bozo, his pipes still work live. He's technically a very good singer and hardly ever botches a note, tough luck that he will always have to live with the comparison to what Lou Gramm once was.

To be fair, Whitesnake aren't the first band to have a lead voice via tape live. The last Steve Perry-wannabe with Journey (not the new cute little Asian guy they found via youtube, who sings great live) performed with tapes on an English open air some years ago too.

"There's a line here that cuts real deep - well, at least down to the scalp...".  ;D ;D ;D Coverdale's comment about not performing with a wig is a (cheap) swipe at Turner who has to live with the rumour/truth of actually wearing one live during the last ten years or so.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:06:07 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »
Not a controversy for those of us sitting around listening to Dick Dale and Link Wray....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
Not a controversy for those of us sitting around listening to Dick Dale and Link Wray....

I'm glad I had just swallowed my coffee when I read that.  ;D

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
"There's a line here that cuts real deep - well, at least down to the scalp...".  ;D ;D ;D Coverdale's comment about not performing with a wig is a (cheap) swipe at Turner who has to live with the rumour/truth of actually wearing one live during the last ten years or so.

TEN years? You're a kind man, Uwe.
My gripe with Joe's singing is that he suffers from the Coverdale disease to some degree as well. He has a great soulful, R&B-tinged rock voice, yet he continually tries to be either a metal or pop vocalist, depending on his mood. Neither one suits him, IMHO. I used to go see Joe with a band called Ezra back in the 70s at local high school dances and concerts here in NJ. I also have a tape of him doing a benefit where he sings a short set of old soul standards - great stuff.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Agreed, Turner has a poor choice in material and will sing anything for a dime. I liked what he did with Fandango and on Slaves and Masters better than anything he's done with Rainbow and than most of the stuff post-Purple.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
Agreed, Turner has a poor choice in material and will sing anything for a dime. I liked what he did with Fandango and on Slaves and Masters better than anything he's done with Rainbow and than most of the stuff post-Purple.

I like the Rainbow stuff alot. His solo efforts (and the HTP albums) seem to all include a couple of good cuts and a bunch of subpar tunes. Oddly, his most consistent solo albums are Under Cover/Under Cover 2.

Re Lou Gramm - I think Lou was one of the finest rock singers ever. They don't make them like that anymore.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »
Turner's not the only one from that group of guys who's been sporting a wig for the last few years. (Decades?) Aye, Richie?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

As one that always sports a wig onstage or for other activities (social and.....) I can only condone this........... albeit reluctantly  :rolleyes:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 02:56:24 PM »
As one that always sports a wig onstage or for other activities (social and.....) I can only condone this........... albeit reluctantly  :rolleyes:

There's a difference between donning one because you want to and because you have to.

Has anyone mentioned Gene Simmons yet?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »
I'm glad I had just swallowed my coffee when I read that.  ;D

I do what I can!   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Mark's hair ain't real? What else is fake?!!!

Good point with the Turner covers albums, I like those too, especially that Righteous Brothers tune.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »
There's a difference between donning one because you want to and because you have to.

Has anyone mentioned Gene Simmons yet?

Back around 1990 I went to a benefit show at The Stone Pony - it was supposed to be Paul Stanley along with a NY cult band called The Good Rats and Saraya. It wound up being the whole of Kiss, along with JLTurner, a couple of guys from The Rascals, and TM Stevens' band. Between Gene and the rest, there was alot of "rock helmets" on stage that evening. I dubbed the show Night of 1000 Rugs"

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
No vanity hair... err... here...  ;)

Seen all those guys (Gramm/Turner/Coverdale) in there heydays...

Takes a lot to get me to go and see bands live these days... lots of s*dd*ng money...  ;D but seriously, only live acts I've seen in the last decade, no, make that double has been Rush (twice), Neil Young, Emmylou Harris, and Steps (the shame...) as a treat for my daughter (the things we do for love...), and technically speaking, that was a canned show...

Richie wears a wig...? surely not...

Mark... that's a wig...? stunned...  :o  :o  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
Mark's hair ain't real? What else is fake?!!!

Hey now!

A girl's gotta have a couple secrets...........besides, Buzz was chastizing me for for T.M.I. just the other day  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...