Author Topic: For sports car and classic race fans...  (Read 1385 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
For sports car and classic race fans...
« on: October 25, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
HOLY GEEZ.  this is a Youtube video of Kenny Brack driving a Ford GT-40 at the Goodwood festival of speed.  Much of the time it appears that he's not driving it as much as he's aiming it with every squirt of the throttle!!!  Dang, there's a lot of seesawing on the wheel...it seems to jump like a living thing.

About 3:00 in he passes two others cars so fast that looks like they're parked!

I've driven stock cars and sports cars, but nothing like that.  I can't imagine how exhausting it would be to drive a car like that for 12 hours at Sebring.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: For sports car and classic race fans...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
That's incredible footage.  It really shows how talented some of these guys are. The hand/eye/foot/brain control is special.

A buddy of mine was a F3000 driver and when he moved to the States from Wales, he started driving vintage race cars here - Healys, Lotus, Porsche, Cooper (his Cooper actually placed 3rd at Sebring in '54) and I've had a chance to drive a few (at my own pace, which is akin to driving like an old lady), but the level of control that these top guys have (and Kenny Brack is an ace), is just astounding.

I've had more fun "working" in the pits for John's team, just because I had access to some of the greatest old race cars at these vintage festivals like Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, Summit Point, etc..

Thanks for posting that.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
Obviously driving on a wet track. I'll bet the guys who drove and won at Le Mans the year Mr. Brack was born drove a lot smoother.

And the guys who were driving slow were probably driving their own cars and didn't want to endure expensive repairs on their vintage race cars.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
One of the comments indicates that it was wet...and man, was that car jumping around.  I agree about the other cars - but they were probably driving at near-race speeds.  That GT-40 was just that much faster in the hands of someone who could really drive it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
Awesome! I'm going to have to watch the whole thing again later. That kind of driving is grueling.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Never been there but it's an annual event over here...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
Amazing footage.  Watch something like that together with the doco "Grand Prix - The Killer Years" and it's possible to understand how big the testicles were on race drivers back in the days of minimal car or track safety provisions.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
A couple of miles from here we have a now defunct track called Brooklands - some of the cars that raced on the track are kept at the museum and many are kept in running order - on special days some that are capable of carrying passengers do so for a small sum so one time we were driven up and round some of the banked track in a Railton Terraplane - the only one in existence...

The museum also has a significant collection of aircraft, including the first Concorde to carry passengers... BAC were based here...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...