Author Topic: What am I not getting when it comes to Rush?  (Read 3954 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: What am I not getting when it comes to Rush?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
Rush is awesome. I'm a huge fan, but they're certainly not for everyone. I'm never shocked or offended when someone says they don't like them. I didn't like their 90s stuff at all, but I think they came back strong in the new millennium, and they always amaze live.

I don't like, or "get" the Grateful Dead, Phish, or Pearl Jam. And I don't care why.  ;)

PS - the last great Floyd album to me was Animals.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »
LOL @uwe.  Nicely said!

I'm a fan of the middle Pink Floyd (Meddle, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here).  Division Bell was an attempt to go back to that sound, and I liked that one, too.

As far as Rush goes, I really like them. They change their sound and approach every few albums.  I don't listen to them much these days, but I still liked Snakes and Arrows when it came out.

As far as the DVD goes, there were a couple moments that I have a connection to.  When they talk about touring with KISS, they flash to a poster of a show at Fremd High School in Palatine, IL.  That was the show I saw.  Rush were AWFUL at that show.
The second connection is when they talk about Caress of Steel, and the band having to keep working by looking at smaller venues.  Neil Peart mentions ending up in "backwater" towns like Battle Creek - and that was the show that I opened for them.  They were funny, and very hospitable.  They even sent half a deli tray to our dressing area.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »
Ok I can understand were most of you are coming from, I should be into Rush as well after all the Yes, ELP, Genesis & even the odd PFM tune I’ve absorded over the years & I’ve tried but never could enjoy them like friends of mine (same w/ the G. Dead :bored:) , there are some tunes I like but most go in one ear & out the other except for,,,, “Half the World” F***ing Great! Went so far as to try to work out the Bass line also I do like their sense of humor I don’t think they take themselves too serously,
Cheers

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »
"They change their sound and approach every few albums."

They certainly do, yet inherently - and I guess that qualifies a great band - stay the same and immediately recognizable. Snakes & Arrows is IMHO one of their best and most coherent albums. End of the seventies they were getting too complex and arty, then they started to sound like a synth trio or a mechanical Police, the new millenium saw them roughening their sound up a little too much for my taste, Vapor Trails sounded forced and contrived in its effort to be an "honest Rush album", Snakes & Ladders is a balanced and unforced sounding piece of work in contrast. The two new songs they played from the forthcoming album were in the same vein.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:10:31 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
Vapor Trails sounded forced and contrived in its effort to be an "honest Rush album",

Two of my bandmates in kelp are hardcore Rush fans.  Even they said that Vapor Trails was so compressed, it was almost painful to listen to.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
I saw them in maybe 1974, and they were a warmup band...they were actually not very good...I really like their later stuff.  They are absolutely an example of what you can do with a lot of hard work.

My kids bought me Rush in Rio a couple of years ago...I like it a lot.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »
I saw them in maybe 1974, and they were a warmup band...they were actually not very good...I really like their later stuff.  They are absolutely an example of what you can do with a lot of hard work.

My kids bought me Rush in Rio a couple of years ago...I like it a lot.

Take the music away and just the pure energy created by the crowd is electric on that Rio show. I love how in parts the crowd are singing the guitar/bass lines.
Digresion our specialty!