Author Topic: What am I not getting when it comes to Rush?  (Read 3951 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
What am I not getting when it comes to Rush?
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
This is by no means meant to bash Rush, but I would like to understand why so many folks go ga-ga over this band and I don't get it.
I have tried to like them - I like Alex Lifeson - I think he's a wonderful guitar player, and I think Geddy Lee is a very talented bassist/keyboard guy.
Neil Peart is an excellent percussionist.  But between Lee's vocals and the (sometimes) laughable lyrics (yeah, I know Neil Peart wrote a lot of their stuff), I find myself unable to listen to them.

Their following is gigantic (and ravenous), and I keep telling myself that I must be missing something because you rarely hear a bad word about them - so I keep trying again and again.  I actually despise a few of their most famous songs - I can't explain it. When it comes to music, I really like to hear what other folks are listening to and give it all a fair shot (except Rap - I have no inclination to even try).

Rush isn't alone in this category either. For instance, I absolutely love the music of the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, however, Mike Farris' voice can, at times, run through me like a knife in the spine. Their music is magical and terrible all at once sometimes.  Heep used to overharmonize in the upper registers as well.
Sorry, I digress...

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: What am I not getting when it comes to Rush?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:58:12 AM »
I like the Rush albums up to "Signals" then I lost interest in their music. Although I've seen them 3 or 4 times over the years, their older music still sounds great to me. That said, I was never a HUGE Rush fan in any case.

Then again, it took me years to finally appreciate The Who. Even now I can listen to one song from The Clash before I tire of them. Tried to like 'em and couldn't, although I think "Armagideon Time" from that live album is a phenomenal song.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
I like the Rush albums up to "Signals" then I lost interest in their music. Although I've seen them 3 or 4 times over the years, their older music still sounds great to me. That said, I was never a HUGE Rush fan in any case.

Then again, it took me years to finally appreciate The Who. Even now I can listen to one song from The Clash before I tire of them. Tried to like 'em and couldn't, although I think "Armagideon Time" from that live album is a phenomenal song.

Funny how that works.  I've been listening to The Clash since 1976 or so, and I rarely tire of them.  I never fully got into The Who, although I have always been in awe of the 3-lead dynamic they had with Moon, Entwhistle and Townshend.

BTW, how's the surf band coming?  I need some dates - gotta get out and see you guys!

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
I have friends who are Rush freaks but I just don't get it, never have, I even bought a couple albums but couldn't get into them. All I ever hear from my friends is "But you LOVE Yes..."
Which is true.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
Rush were often considered to be a poor-mans Yes in the late 70's and a poor mans Zep before that...

First saw Rush in '77 at the Hammersmith Odeon and have tried to see most tours since - cash flow curtailed this tour, also Bob Seger who played London the same week...

It's a chalk and cheese thing - I retained my long hair, jeans and t-shirts right through the punk era - watched all sorts of stuff from the last gigs with Moon, lots of proggies, lots of metal and NWOBHM, lots of US AOR, but punk just didn't cut it for me - I played what I liked and although I have not found something to actively pursue I'd still like to get involved in what I consider to be the classic Who/Free type lineup...

I listened to some of the punk stuff - couldn't avoid it on my doorstep - I don't regret missing one thing, but curiously, I deeply regret missing the Tourists supporting Roxy Music (stayed in the bar across from the Odeon as no-one could be persuaded to bother seeing anything but the main act - gits - oh well, mines a Pride ;D).

Rush in '77 failed to sell out a 3000 seater in London and I got tickets on the night...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:46:49 PM »
 I like Rush in small doses up to Moving Pictures  (I think) They got a little overly techie at one point, their more recent offering that was stripped down for Rush was more to my liking. I admire their staying power and unchanged line up of over 30 years.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »
I totally agree that the staying power of the lineup is endearing...I wonder if that might be accountable for the cult-like following they've amassed over the years.
Have you seen ticket prices for some of their shows? Yikes.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
Have you seen ticket prices for some of their shows? Yikes.

Hence skipping this tour - the three of us went to the last one and I overspent on the souvenir stakes - bought the coffee-table programme book even though I had all but one programme (T4E tour) reprinted in it - there is one UK prog that is not in it from a one off show they played at Stafford Bingly Hall...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chaser001

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
I've tried pretty hard to get into Rush's music, but just can't.  The closest I ever came was listening to Geddy's Lee's isolated bass lines.  I found that more intriguing than their music as a whole. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
i saw the original line up of rush after the first record came out. like the album but  left after three tunes. i was there to see the opening act anyway. the dictators.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
I like Rush OK, but my favorite album is Counterparts, which is arguably their most "pop" offering.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »

I saw them many times from Caress of Steel thru Signals and really enjoyed them, but not so much anymore..........Besides, to me Geddy ain't Geddy unless he's playing a 4001 Rick thru a bunch Sunn gear......

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
There are plenty of bands with excellent musicians who play music that doesn't appeal to me. I've never felt obligated to try to figure out why.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:31:56 AM »
They are an acquired taste alright. They appeal to musos more than to women. Their longevity certainly has raised them to cult status, also that Neil Peart, their drummer, withdrew from the band for hals a decade after he lost both his wife and his daughter. And they would not tour nor record without him. Their music is a mix of prog and hard rock, not quite either. The fact that three men make so much racket on stage without an army of backing musicians and tapes endears them to a lot of purists - any other band would have hired an extra keyboard player and a rhythm guitarist for tours long ago. Geddy's voice/squeal is love or hate, to many Rush fans it is more of the fourth instrument in the band than a transporter of emotion and lyrical content. Peart's lyrics are not Bob Dylan prose, but his attempts at tackling subjects above the heads of most rock bands appeals to their following to.

Rush are aware of their nerd factor status and play with it. They are proud men about their instrumental capabilities (rightfully so), but tongue in cheek about the fervor of their followers. The recent concert I saw featured intro and outro movies in-between vids where Geddy played a jewish barkeeper in Groucho Marx look, Peart was a stern army veteran or policeman (looking utterly convincing) and Lfeson played a greasy, mulleted manager in a fat suit of a hopeless - Rush lookalike -rock band. They certainly took the piss of themselves in those films, but at the same time they are devoutly dedicated to their musical craft.

Actually, the weirdest thing about Rush's sound - Geddy's vocals aside - is Alex lifeson's multi-layered and -delayed guitar playing which defies for most parts a blues and rock heritage. Lee and Peart are both busy and excellent players, but what they do in all its complexity is conventional playing, just very sophisticated. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
Rush are one of those bands that I can listen to just to hear the music. I mean without dissecting it everytime. Great individual musicians obviously but the essence of their general sound is always in every song regardless of the album. I really enjoy that essence. I have no idea why. All I can suggest to people who "dont get it" is not to worry about trying to get it. We all have different tastes and probably for a lot of different reasons. Its OK not to like it.
Digresion our specialty!