Author Topic: In our ongoing "Kiss & Their Tribulations"-series, another sequel ...  (Read 8478 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: In our ongoing "Kiss & Their Tribulations"-series, another sequel ...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
My memory of that Knebworth gig will always be tarnished by the memory of my face connecting to a half-full beer can and the resultant broken nose... Utopia were also on the bill... Mr Rundgren, on the day, was and is a far superior guitarist... shamefully under-rated...

Mr Page can play, he can also write and produce, admirably, but I have never heard anything by LZ, live (recorded or the 1 time I saw them), that impressed, but when seeing them live, you tend to get sucked into the legacy of their recorded music...

The two times I saw Kiss in '76, they were brilliant, on all levels... so what if Ace was/is not a "world-great", it worked for me... definitely enjoyed their shows more than seeing Zeppelin at Knebworth in '79...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »
I appreciate Ace for what he is - I wouldn't have bought tickets for his club show here if that wasn't the case - but I find it amusing that he can't get a Les Paul to sing to save his life, hasn't progressed as a guitarist and is now blessed with a successor having to emulate his limitations though he could do better. Kiss were never a grooving (like Aerosmith) or smooth-sounding (like early Ted Nugent Stranglehold era) hard rock band (except when Ezrin's tough studio regime forced them to - and part of that is Simmons' heavy-handed, stomping bass playing and Stanley's rigid rhythm guitar, but it is also Frehley's stumbling timing and studdering, even notes-tripping-over-another, lead salvos. The only guy with a groove in the original band was Criss, but he was outnumbered 3:1.

The new album. It has cowbell. Those Kiss-typical slightly awkward changes from verse to chorus that are forever unable to really wed a hard verse and a poppy chorus elegantly together like, say, their role models Slade effortlessly could. The first half of the album is consciously made to sound like Rock'n'Roll Over (never my fave, I prefer Destroyer and Dynasty), the second half sees more eighties influences, chanty chorusses and all. Simmons' bass playing is loose and has room to breathe, lots of slides and burps (and it does sound like a passive Ripper rather than an EMG equipped Punisher could have done it), they thankfully shunned away from making the album compete with Metallica heaviness. Kiss are an old-fashioned (even in the seventies they sounded a little dated), even quaintly old-fashioned rock'n'roll band, not a heavy metal one.

As always, I find myself preferring the songs grunted by Simmons. Is it just me or are there really fewer songs sung by Stanley on this album than on "normal" Kiss ones? Eric and Tommy acquit themselves well as singers and Stanley wisely sings a little deeper, not in his sometimes painful screech that marred a lot of eighties and nineties albums.

Do I think it's better than Psycho Circus? I haven't heard a song on it that draws me in like some of the ones on Psycho Circus did (including that one's magnificent title track), but I think your average Kiss Army grunt who prefers Rock'n'Roll Over to Destroyer will be pleased. Also by the bonus disc rehashing the old hits which independent of the year they once surfaced all now sound like Rock'n'Roll Over outtakes except that today's Kiss is tighter than they used to be.

Lyrics are once again touchingly inane:

"If it's too hot
You're too cold
If it's too loud
You're too old"

Sheer bloody (or unbloody = kosher) poetry. A-students in Talmud class no doubt. People of the book.

But I still like'm!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:55:01 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »
For touchingly inane lyrics, how can you top

Girl, I can make you feel
Okay

Just okay? That's all?  ???

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
The re-recorded songs were released in Japan last year. I think they were recorded by the same engineer as the new album but definitely not at the same time. I'm sure they did them for licensing (more money for KISS as they own these masters). That disc (to me) is mostly a throw away. It shows you can re-record something note for note (or close) but still miss the magic completely.

Re Paul's songs; his voice is shot. He can't sing in his 70's voice or his 80's voice. I'll be surprised if it survives the tour at all. Check Youtube for plenty of examples. Sad, really. Gene on the other hand shows he can still nail any era of KISS where his vocals are needed (the one highlight of the new recordings).

Tommy's playing is serviceable but misses the beauty of Ace's quirky timing. Eric may technically be a better drummer than Peter Criss but the songs lose most of their magic in his hands. Not only do they not swing, they plod, even at the same tempo. I know Peter can't do it anymore either, but I wish they'd gotten someone at least as able as Tommy to cop those parts...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:43 AM »
For touchingly inane lyrics, how can you top

Okay

Just okay? That's all?  ???

That's hilarious! Never really thought about it like that. We are talking about Paul Stanley though. He might be able to make a boy feel better than OK.  8)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »

Hahaha, he looks like Nosferatu!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
I'm kind of slow on this, where did that "Girl,I can make you feel ok" line come from? It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't nail it. Love Gun? I was made for loving you?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »
I really love you baby
I love what youve got
Lets get together, we can
Get hot
No more tomorrow, baby
Time is today
Okay

No place for hidin baby
No place to run
You pull the trigger of my
Love gun, (love gun), love gun

You cant forget me baby
Dont try to lie
Youll never leave me, mama
So dont try
Ill be a gambler, baby
Lay down the bet
We get together, mama
Youll sweat

No place for hidin baby
No place to run
You pull the trigger of my
Love gun, love gun

Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 03:07:50 AM »
Thanks. Paul Stanley, the wordsmith.  :mrgreen: Simmons' lyrics are adolescent and misogynist, but he's never outright naively-embarrassing like Paul can be without twitching.

So Dave has heard Love Gun at least once. And it stuck in his memory. I think deep in his heart, he's a closet Kiss nerd and puts on kabuki make-up at night.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »
I have three Kiss songs, all were in compilations. Love Gun, Stole Your Love and Rock and Roll All Night. That's it. AFAIK I've never heard any of their other songs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »
As a friend of Americana, you should listen to what Toad the Wet Sprocket did to Rock and Roll, errrm, Country Waltz All Night:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000001E4B/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_005?

Is the full version available anywhere online? I've got the CD.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:30:06 AM by uwe »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
As a friend of Americana, you should listen to what Toad the Wet Sprocket did to Rock and Roll, errrm, Country Waltz All Night:

I just heard that for the first time over the week-end.  The local indie radio station was doing an "undercover" week-end, and that one popped up.  Pretty cool, actually.  Personally, I like Lenny Kravitz and Stevie Wonder doing "Deuce".
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
I still have 12 inches of "Love Gun", but I keep it in the loft, for fear of scaring the squirrels...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

Was this addressed to me? I don't think I'm a friend of Americana or Toad the Wet Sprocket.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »
This from the man who once said that he spent the seventies "listening to radio stations that played what you would today call Americana". You know how I remember those things, Dave.