Author Topic: Olivia ...  (Read 424 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Olivia ...
« on: August 08, 2022, 06:18:28 PM »
She deserves a spot here. Some legacy.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Olivia ...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 06:19:58 PM »
A nice person, by the accounts I have read.  R.I.P.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 11:29:28 PM »
Most of what I listen to is rock, especially hard rock.  But Olivia Newton-John was a pop singer in a league of her own.  She was stunning and incomparable.  In my opinion, the only other pop artists that might be considered her peers are Linda Ronstadt and ABBA.  Personally, though, Olivia Newton-John was the one I preferred.  I didn't like that movie "Grease" that made her so famous.  I didn't like all of the syrupy lyrics to some pop songs.  But her talent transcended all of that. 

She has been sick for a long time.  Mentally, I tried to prepare for how this would end.  But my efforts seem to have been in vain.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
RIP Olivia. A truly classy pop star.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 07:33:39 AM »
Hard and heavy rock/heavy metal is the musical swamp of adolecent insecurities I surfaced from ...

and even at now 61, soon 62 it keeps clawing me back ...

... but I never lost sense for a good pop melody.

It probably has to do with the fact that the first music that registered with me in my childhood as something special originated from an English harbo(u)r town.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 08:15:39 AM »

Crap, that's like 9 years away. WTF happened? 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 08:24:03 AM »
She'd been battling with cancer already decades ago - brave girl. Fought hard and was cured. But after a long pause it returned with a venegance (spread to her spine). Crap disease and still prevalent:

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics#:~:text=The%20cancer%20death%20rate%20(cancer,and%20135.7%20per%20100%2C000%20women).

Somehow, when I was a kid and cancer back then was pretty much a death warrant, I thought we would have a cure by now (but then I thought back then that we'd have flying cars and live on the bottom of the sea as well as on other planets by now as well). And while survival rates via treatment have much improved, we're a long way from a real cure. My cousin's husband had cancer diagnosed at 60 or so (never a smoker or drinker, not overweight, an athlete with his bicycle), he died within a year, no therapy worked on him and it spread highly aggressive all through his body within months. Even the doctors were surprised how quickly the disease ravaged through his body, so fast you couldn't even determine where it started first.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:35:05 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 09:18:45 AM »
Paul Stanley said it best when he said Olivia Newton-John was "everyone's sweetheart." 

https://www.webisjericho.com/rockers-react-to-the-passing-of-olivia-newton-john/

Although I really liked her, I think I only bought one of her albums through the years.  I've helped to remedy that by ordering a double CD set a few hours ago.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 11:27:35 AM »
The Chris Slade (holding her piggyback, with - albeit already slightly receding - hair too) connection was news to me, whole lotta Livvy on a highway to fame!

olivia-newton-john-on-the-back-of-chris-slade-who-was-chosen-from-over-300-applicants-to-replace-drummer-karl-chambers-in-the-pop-group-toomorrow-the-group-is-fronted-by-american-actress-olivia-newton

Talk about a cult movie!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:03:52 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 09:47:59 PM »

--Blaise Pascal

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 06:20:05 AM »
Sad to see her go, and kudos for putting one hell of a fight the way she did.

RIP, fine lady.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)