Author Topic: Sidney Poitier RIP  (Read 332 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Sidney Poitier RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 11:23:00 AM »
That man was an institution.
May he rest in peace.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »
Rest in peace

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 07:10:19 PM »
He singlehandedly introduced that song into German Catholic and Protestant masses/liturgy.

I only saw that film once in the 60ies, never again, but that song stuck with me forever and I'm not even religious. By the late 60ies it cropped up in church all the time and is now a staple song (generally started in the German pronounciation, but by the end most people sing it like in the movie). And to this day I pronounce amen in English like Sidney does in the movie as "ay-men" (he sings it like that even in German dubbed versions) and not as "uhmenn". (Just like Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer & Huckelberry Finn has  led me to say more often than not "Ay-rab" rather than ""uhrab" for Arab - in the book always spelled as "A-rab" - before I laughingly catch myself.  ;D )

My mother probably considered The Defiant Ones (German title was more descriptive "Flucht in Ketten", literally "escape in chains") her favorite movie (and she also thought Sidney an extremely handsome man). Before I ever saw it for the first time on TV, she had told me a the story a couple of times and I had this vivid imagination what it would be like. The movie, when I finally got to see it on TV, didn't disappoint.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:47:59 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 09:25:23 PM »
I've always thought Sidney Poitier had one of the smoothest acting styles ever.  He will be remembered as an actor of the highest caliber.  RIP. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal