Author Topic: Paradise by the Dashboard Light ...  (Read 659 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Paradise by the Dashboard Light ...
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:43:37 PM »
With his flavor for big arrangements he'll do plenty fine with the heavenly choir. And remember: There can never be too much multitracked voices, grand piano tinkling and harmony guitar!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/20/jim-steinman-dies-hitmaker-meat-loaf-celine-dion

Hopefully some bad girls up there too.

It's funny, I only bought his solo album Bad for Good and the Original Sin album last week at the spur of a moment.

Of course, those albums all are Meat Loaf albums without Meat Loaf, but Jim Steinman without Meat Loaf still sounded better than Meat Loaf without Jim Steinman.

And I would have liked to have heard Def Leppard's Hysteria had they let him finish it instead of calling Mutt Lange to the rescue. That would have been flawed, but grandiose. Mutt Lange, otoh, was flaw- and heartless on that production job.

RIP, you OTT master of grand cheese and sometimes very poignant lyricist.

youtube.com/watch?v=3jPMv9zJ1LE&list=RD3jPMv9zJ1LE&index=1
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:17:37 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Paradise by the Dashboard Light ...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »
That first video is blocked in the U.S. (as is often the case).
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 10:20:38 PM »
I still remember Christopher Lee's introduction on SNL: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to Meet Loaf!"

If you ever get the chance, watch the Loaf in this almost forgotten classic.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 11:20:27 PM »
I still remember Christopher Lee's introduction on SNL: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to Meet Loaf!"

If you ever get the chance, watch the Loaf in this almost forgotten classic.

And I thought 'Spice girls the movie' was his film debut..

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:51:11 AM »
That first video is blocked in the U.S. (as is often the case).

It's this song here

in its original all female-sung and -performed form and, errrm ... shape! Imagine a typical - i.e. devoted to harsh photo realism - Jim Steinman vision (i.e. spawned by juvenile luridness) of a women's correctional facility, they all wear leotards and leather jackets, so to speak your standard prison inmate look somewhere between Flashdance, Pat Benatar and Cher on a battleship with fully erect guns.

Of course they all do dance routines. The female warden, however, is ugly and fat.

Close your eyes and you can see it - I know you can do it!!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:52:14 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 07:00:11 AM »
Wasn't Meat Loaf's (who, mind you, is still happily alive, Jim Steinman left us) film debut this here? Albeit cut somewhat short by a pick axe, his cameo already summed up what his musical future would be.

I remember my barely  teenage son when he was in his Guns & Roses phase. We were in the car and Bat out of Hell II was playing. He winced and deadpanned: "Dad, is this a Disney cartoon soundtrack?"  :rimshot:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:09:08 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
It's this song here

in its original all female-sung and -performed form and, errrm ... shape! Imagine a typical - i.e. devoted to harsh photo realism - Jim Steinman vision (i.e. spawned by juvenile luridness) of a women's correctional facility, they all wear leotards and leather jackets, so to speak your standard prison inmate look somewhere between Flashdance, Pat Benatar and Cher on a battleship with fully erect guns.

Of course they all do dance routines. The female warden, however, is ugly and fat.

Close your eyes and you can see it - I know you can do it!!!

Thanks.  That video works.

I looked up the Pandora's Box version.  That's Holly Sherwood on lead vocals.  I like her voice.  She was involved in the music industry for a while, but now owns an art gallery (according to Wikipedia.)  So someone who can actually sing is in art now while every day we get music releases from people who can't sing.  Not that there is anything wrong with art, though.  I like that, too. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 12:04:59 AM »
rip... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...