Author Topic: a question for hollowbody players  (Read 6086 times)

poomwah

• View Profile
a question for hollowbody players
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:48:28 AM »
I've been noticing how many different sizes of semi and hollow body basses there are out there.
  Anybody played large bodies and small bodies and have opinions on which ones more usable?  Are the larger bodies more awkward to play to where they don't get played as much?  Is there a big difference in sound?
  My problem is a psychological one right now.  When I see the ENORMOUS hollowbodies I think they are the coolest thing ever.  A  bas version of anything that brian setzer plays... or a bass version of Dave Grohl's pellham blue hollowbody.  Those are the most visually appealing things to me.
 BUT, would I be sacrificing playability by going with something THAT big?

ilan

• View Profile
Re: a question for hollowbody players
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
I've been noticing how many different sizes of semi and hollow body basses there are out there.
  Anybody played large bodies and small bodies and have opinions on which ones more usable?  Are the larger bodies more awkward to play to where they don't get played as much?  Is there a big difference in sound?
  My problem is a psychological one right now.  When I see the ENORMOUS hollowbodies I think they are the coolest thing ever.  A  bas version of anything that brian setzer plays... or a bass version of Dave Grohl's pellham blue hollowbody.  Those are the most visually appealing things to me.
 BUT, would I be sacrificing playability by going with something THAT big?

I own a "bass version of anything that Brian Setzer plays"... a 1964 Gretsch model 6070. It is enormous, long scale (34"), giant hollow body. The sound, with Rotosound Tru Bass black nylon strings, is very old school. You are right, the large body is less comfortable to play. But it is a jaw-dropper every time I bring it to a gig.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
is it something that you play a LOT, or does the size limit you to playing it only occassionally? or for only part of a set?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »
I used to play it exclusively when I was in an acoustic blues group (3 acoustic guitars, bass and drums), the sound was just right for that band.

The bass has an enormous neck, 1 3/4" wide and VERY thick, thicker than any other bass I've ever played. It's fun at first but not easy to play 2 hour gigs. It's also a bit neck-heavy, but a wide suede strap and relocating the strap button to the heel solved that problem.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:41:27 AM »
I was wondering about that. I've only played two of them and both had wide, very thick necks. Obviously it was a design feature.  :-\

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
They also have flat fretboards, like a classical guitar, not radiused.

The scale is 34", but with the bridge almost at the center of the body, it feels like a 38" scale, you have to reach far for that low F.

The Korean reissues have a thinner neck profile and a smaller headstock.

This one has caught my eye on eBay. It started life as a 6070 like mine, and was heavily modded to look like a White Falcon.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:21:40 AM by ilan »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »
drbassman owned (or maybe still owns) one of the reissues.

I know what you mean about the bridge placement. That's one reason Fender Coronados are often mistaken for long scale basses -- even by some "official" sources. Large body, bridge in the center. But they're 30" scale.

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
so this might be a LOT more comfortable, even if its not nearly as appealing visually?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 02:55:22 PM »
That all depends. How does it balance?

I didn't mind the large body on my Coronado but it was an extreme neck diver and with the strap button on top of the neck heel it rotated outward as it dived. OTOH a hollowbody with a smaller body can be even more of a neck diver.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (hear drbassman's jaw hit the floor!)  I love it.  I also love the new White Falcon bass but not at $3000!!!

This one has caught my eye on eBay. It started life as a 6070 like mine, and was heavily modded to look like a White Falcon.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:12:40 PM »
I play, routinely, a Gretsch 6072, Gretsch ThunderJet and 1972 Gibson Les Paul Signature bass.  I love them all for different reasons, but they are all expensive instruments to acquire.  The 6072 is a reissue and the neck is small and easy to play.  The body is big, like the original and is not for smaller folks for sure.  It's 34" scale.

The Thunder Jet is a great gigging bass.  It has lots of bottom end with the TV Jones pups and is shortscale, every easy to play and is light.  I can wear it for 3 hours, no problems.  I love it on hot days as the poly finish is a mile deep and sweat doesn't faze it one bit!

I like the LP Signature bass for quieter gigs with church groups or acoustic setting.  It's mellow and also comfortable for me.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
For a medium-sized hollowbody, I suggest watching Ebay for a 70's Lyle or Univox.  They're copies of a 335, and they're often available under $200 on Ebay, although prices have come up in recent months.

Pluses:
Short scale, reasonably well balanced, nice woodwork and finish.

Minuses:
Electronics probably need cleaned up, necks often need a small shim.

They come in various colors: http://www.univox.org/guitars/ (check "Custom 335 copy")

Here's mine:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
I have several hollowbodies, I often use a '66 Gibson EB-2, and sometimes an Epiphone Rivoli but it's got wiring problems right now, I have the double-cut Ibanez Artcore(full-scale) but I do find the large body coupled with the 34" scale makes it a bit unwieldy.
My fave right now is this cheapo; it's medium scale(32"), body is a bit larger than a Les Paul, and balances well and has great action. Since the photo was taken I've put LP knobs and Roto Trubass strings on, and I'm thinking of going for a tort pickguard, make it look more "classic".
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
I own a "bass version of anything that Brian Setzer plays"... a 1964 Gretsch model 6070. It is enormous, long scale (34"), giant hollow body. The sound, with Rotosound Tru Bass black nylon strings, is very old school. You are right, the large body is less comfortable to play. But it is a jaw-dropper every time I bring it to a gig.

That is a beauty. I also like EB-2's a lot, I've owned both large and small (Hofner, EKO) and think the larger ones sound better. My favorite is the EB-2, Guild starfires also sound great although I've never tried one, Jack Casady's fuzzy JA sound sold me on those.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:09:37 AM by ilan »