Author Topic: Bands Better than the Beatles?  (Read 8548 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Bands Better than the Beatles?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
The Replacements is a band that hipsters reference to be "cooler" than having to like real rock bands.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:43 AM »
The Replacements is a band that hipsters reference to be "cooler" than having to like real rock bands.

Probably the same fans as those of Brian Jonestown Massacre.  My son tried to convince me of their coolness, and all I saw was ego-centric self-indulgence.  That and the heroin.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 06:45:03 AM »
The Kinks were great and started around the same time as the Beatles. They also had good longevity and fairly substantial recorded output. Don't nearly get the same amount of press. I like the Animals and the Zombies too.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »
Ugh that  Bee Gees clip is as awful as I remember.
You know what? Closet whimp I am :gay:, I like the Bee Gees way too much to not like even this here!  :-[ I never saw the movie, never heard the soundtrack, by all accounts the movie was horrible (not that all Beatles films were exactly Academy Award Winner suspicious!) though looking at it now it's so endearingly incredibly cheesy it's moving! Is that Leif Frampton impersonating Peter Garrett or the other way around? With all due respect to him and Joe Cocker, no one can sing that song with the laconic beauty of Ringo. At least he didn't use the voice box to, uhum, doobie wah all over it. Someone had compassion.

But the true value of this vid which you have thankfully posted, Lowend, is ...

BARRY GIBB PLAYING A RIPPER!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Men have turned gay for lesser reasons!

Now go(ose-step) and post it where it belongs, das ist ein Befehl!!!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
None of the bands on that turds list are better than YES, let alone the f***ing Beatles!

.....and where's Big Star?!?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Big Star! Every nerd's secret band that "should have made it, but didn't"!  :mrgreen:

The favorites on my list "Why didn't they make it?!" are Be Bop Deluxe, Strapps, Starz and Dictators. To be fair: None of them quite in The Beatles league, but then who is?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »

I'd never deny the influence of the Beatles.......

But I really didn't get into music much until my 9th grade year of school (1973) when I met a fellow named Dave Haynes - he had a copy Slade "Slayed" under his arm and was kind enough to let me borrow it. Yeah, that had an effect on me in a way the Beatles never would. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
  Mark Slade's album Slayed had a huge influence on me. While I was a Beatles fan from ED Sullivan on the arrival of bands like Slade and Mott The Hoople coincided with my early teen years and were the bands that made a big impact on me. While I loved The Beatles, Slade, Kiss, Mott were "my" bands.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
Mark and Scott, you're just defending omelettes against eggs!!!

There is a whole lot of Beatles in Noddy Holder's and Jim Lea's songwriting - and they have never denied that, in fact prided themselves with it, Noddy and Jim are both Beatles nuts (as is Ozzy).

Or just listen to Jim's solo stuff (also strong ELO and Oasis influences there, but then both bands copped bountifully off the Beatles too!):

I think The Beatles were THE influence on Slade, and John Lennon, for one, liked them a lot. I just wish George Martin would have gotten his hands on them once - those Chas Chandler production jobs with Noddy's overloud vocals and everything close to distortion haven't aged well, the CD remasters from a few years ago have made that painfully obvious.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:29:04 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
Uwe no question Slade was my generations "Beatles" the only problem being they never really caught on over here! Jimmy's playing reminds me so much of Paul's. I have often said that for me Jim's playing was like Paul's on the song Rain.....................except Jimmy played like that all the time. Paul explored lead bass for a brief period of time, for Jim it carried through on virtually everything he played.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »

I'd never deny that Slade was in part influened by the Beatles -  My point is that I, as child didn't connect with them too well. For me it was much as Chas Chandler's notes on the back of "Slayed" suggest - they were my first love.
 Of course, what Slade started was fueled by Alice Cooper, Kiss, Mott and later even B.O.C. ( any band that used "Junkers Jumo 004!" as a lyric was going to get my attention, again in a way the Beatles couldn't.).
 But then, I wasn't like most of my childhood mates  :-*     
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
Probably the same fans as those of Brian Jonestown Massacre.  My son tried to convince me of their coolness, and all I saw was ego-centric self-indulgence.  That and the heroin.

Nope and nope. Couldn't be further from the truth. The Replacements' fan base is as far from hipster as humanly possible, and the band's performances back then were no pose. That's who they were. Paul was a talented but barely-in-control drunk who couldn't handle the fame, Bob was a brilliant rock guitarist with multiple substance abuse problems. Paul eventually pulled himself out of it. Bob sank.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
They're going to have an encore presentation of the tribute to the Beatles.  On CBS, of course, and it's tonight.  Since I missed all but the last part, I hope I can catch it.  Maybe there are some out there also interested.  Obviously, irrelevant, though, to anyone outside the U.S. who can't get American stations.  I don't know what time this will be. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
hey the Replacements rule. i have all their records. definitely not for hipsters. ok not as culturally as important as the Beatles. the only other band so influential is the god damn Ramones!. gabba gabba hey.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
I'm soured on the Replacements by my old guitar player, who decided to quit playing right as we became viable to play for a living. His professed love for them and Fugazi as "intense" when WE were throwing down and kicking MAJOR ass pissed me off. Killer guitar player, serviceable singer, spoiled absolutely rotten by his parents and then-current girlfriend who decided that his 'rebellion against nothing' was over and he needed to "settle down." If I ever hear another reference to the "Paul Westerberg diet" it'll be too soon. ..and of course, the people who lapped that schtick up around here: hipsters, who never bothered to see us live but he constantly sought their approval.