Author Topic: What happened to Muse?  (Read 5025 times)

westen44

• View Profile
What happened to Muse?
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »
I always look with anticipation for each new Muse album.  "The 2nd Law" was released just a few days ago.  My CD is still on its way in the mail, but I got to listen to the album for the first time last night.  Now, for the first time in my life, I realize why there are a lot of people out there who don't like Muse.  Seriously, I never understood this before, but I do now.  This album sounds like a horribly botched attempt to provide theme music for a James Bond movie.  If Matt Bellamy wants to spend his time with Kate Hudson or whatever he is doing instead of focusing on music, that's his business.  He has a free will to do whatever he wants to.  All I know is that as a consumer, I'll think twice before pre-ordering a Muse album again. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Muse?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »
I know what you mean. The last album that I really enjoyed was Black Holes and Revelations....since then, it's been increasingly more lackluster. I heard that Matt said in a recent magazine interview that Muse is bigger/more important than Queen, that doesn't make me like 'em any better either! ???

T

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »
I got it. Only listened to the first 5-6 tracks so far. I'm liking it better than the Resistance already. Absolution and Black Holes are tough acts to follow. I'll be going to see them March 4.  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
I got it. Only listened to the first 5-6 tracks so far. I'm liking it better than the Resistance already. Absolution and Black Holes are tough acts to follow. I'll be going to see them March 4.  :mrgreen:

I noticed that there seemed to be quite a few Muse fans who didn't like The Resistance.  Of course, I wasn't one of them.  I thought it was great.  However, now maybe some of the ones who didn't like The Resistance will like The 2nd Law better.  It is quite a disappointment to me, though, as is obvious from what I've said. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
I know what you mean. The last album that I really enjoyed was Black Holes and Revelations....since then, it's been increasingly more lackluster. I heard that Matt said in a recent magazine interview that Muse is bigger/more important than Queen, that doesn't make me like 'em any better either! ???

T

After listening to this album a few more times, my disappointment is so great, I am almost speechless.  All things considered, I have felt it best to delete some of my earlier comments. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:26:13 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »
I've only heard this first single.  It's a much simpler sound, and I actually thought this might be George Michael when I first heard it.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
I've only heard this first single.  It's a much simpler sound, and I actually thought this might be George Michael when I first heard it.

I was flipping channels and caught them performing this on SNL  :bored:  I've never been a big Muse fan but I liked several of the things I had heard in the past.  This was just, well, underwhelming.  The double neck bass contraption that the bass player was playing the synbass on, via touchscreen, left me cold personally.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:36:52 AM »
If Matt Bellamy wants to spend his time with Kate Hudson or whatever he is doing instead of focusing on music, that's his business. 

Look what she did to the Black Crowes. It's bad when you can piss a bunch of stoners off that much. I watched Muse on SNL this past week, and for once, the audio wasn't horrendously bad; they were just boring

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
That first single is definitely a big disappointment to me. The first track "Supremacy" is pretty bad ass, with a big 7 string guitar riff.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »
Look what she did to the Black Crowes. It's bad when you can piss a bunch of stoners off that much. I watched Muse on SNL this past week, and for once, the audio wasn't horrendously bad; they were just boring

I don't know too much about that.  I'm not positive about this, but I do think I read somewhere that Kate Hudson's own father referred to her as spoiled and a man-eater.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
That first single is definitely a big disappointment to me. The first track "Supremacy" is pretty bad ass, with a big 7 string guitar riff.

Ok, I'll go back and listen to that one.  So far, the only song I like on the album is "Explorers."  

Edit:

Listened to the CD several times now that it FINALLY came in the mail.  My impression is not too different from a review I just read:

*****. this album is a  ****ing trainwreck. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:11:59 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
I like this one.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
^

It's true there are some good songs on it.  Overall, though, I'd still have to say it's Muse's weakest album.  I like the Chris Wolstenholme contributions.  "Madness" is sheer crap.  "Panic Station" sounds like a bad song from the 80s, and is a monstrosity.  As for "Survival," it must be a joke or something.  I can't believe they would expect people to take it seriously it sounds so pretentious.  In my opinion, Muse is in dire need of a producer. 

--Blaise Pascal