Author Topic: Epi Explorer - or- Fenderbird?  (Read 10079 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Epi Explorer - or- Fenderbird?
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
Torn.... Been jonesing for an Explorer for some time now. I love the look of the Epi "korina" models. I also really like the pickup placement - very similar to a Ric. I would drop in a pair of black plastic TB+... But... It wouldn't really do anything that my Fenderbird doesn't do already, though it may end up being more comfortable. The 'bird is heavy, and the way it hangs puts the neck at an angle I'm not used to compared to any of my other basses. But it looks incredible, and sounds GREAT!

Back to the Explorer - there's one on the 'bay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/170918883925?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT The guy accepted my offer of $480, INCLUDING shipping. Now I'm not sure about pulling the trigger. I feel like I'd have to sell the 'bird, but I have a special attachment to that bass having put it together myself in honor of JAE. I actually completed it on the 5 year anniversary of his death. And John, if I do, I'll certainly throw you some coin for the body.  :)

Thoughts???

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Epi Explorer - or- Fenderbird?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »

Having played the new long scale reissue Gibson I can say that I'd never buy the Epi - Just don't like their necks. But that's just me and how they fit my hands. The Silverburst Gibson of Uwe's was a very nice player for me.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:04 AM »
Interesting. Have you played the Epi Explorer, or is that based on their T-bird necks? I know those are chunky, and "uninviting" to me. The Mighty Mite Jazz neck on my 'bird is nice, as far as F style necks are concerned.  ;)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »

Yes Tom, I have played several Epi's at my local GC over the past few years, just couldn't get on with the neck, very much in the same way as Standard Epi 'Birds. Again not criticizing, they just don't fit my left hand well at all. The Gibson was sweet pretty much like a modern 'Bird which suits me very well.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
Cool, thanks for the input! Maybe I should try to find one of those faded/worn - whatever they call it - tobacco burst Gibsons...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
Cool, thanks for the input! Maybe I should try to find one of those faded/worn - whatever they call it - tobacco burst Gibsons...

Gotta say those are effing Badass looking basses.........even with black hardware  8)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
Just the pickups are black. Hardware is chromey goodness! AND now we're talking twice the money.  :-\ Still a great deal...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
JAE was never that faithful to an instrument as many came and went - the PC's were a passing phase in his career...

I'm baised as far as PC's but ask yourself the following...

Would you use the beast or will she be a wall-hanger...?
Are you a big fan of D profile P necks (F-birds) of Jazz necks (E-birds) if you are true tributing...?
Is there ever a lasting cure for GAS...? ;D

I'd love to have the spare greens to build an E'bird and load her with TB pups...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
Pretty sure all the ExplorerBirds had (early 70s C profile) Precision necks.  JAE said he preferred them and his Buzzards and Exploiters had Precision width necks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
My F-bird has a Jazz neck.  :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
You may be right about the P necks - certainly a P on both that one and the "puke" green...

I've always been of the belief he prefered D profile - it's no guarantee but mines a D and matches the form and widths pretty much spot on...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
You may be right about the P necks - certainly a P on both that one and the "puke" green...

I've always been of the belief he prefered D profile - it's no guarantee but mines a D and matches the form and widths pretty much spot on...

I'd guess when PC started making bass necks JAE got exactly what he wanted, but the necks used on the FenderBirds were whatever Fender was making at the time.

Just found this here:
http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=422

"There is occasional confusion about C, U and V neck profile designations and A, B, C and D neck width designations. From the early '60s to the early '70s, Fender referred specifically to the nut width of its instrument necks using the letters A (1 ½"), B (1 5/8"), C (1 ¾") and D (1 7/8"). These letters were stamped on the butt-end of the necks and had nothing to do with neck profile."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Well, I let the Epi go... And went ahead and bought a Gibson faded tobacco! $899 at Musicians Friend, and I got a 15% off promo code for a total of $765 shipped to my office! This is going to be fun.  ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »

Tom, did you say you needed to sell the Fenderbird?

And congratulations on the Explorer, I think you'll really like how it plays........A modern Thunderbird in pointy clothes  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:28:45 AM by TBird1958 »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Well, I let the Epi go... And went ahead and bought a Gibson faded tobacco! $899 at Musicians Friend, and I got a 15% off promo code for a total of $765 shipped to my office! This is going to be fun.  ;D
Arghhhhhhhh stop giving me GAS! Good choice hope you like her!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird