Author Topic: Matsumoku  (Read 817 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Matsumoku
« on: January 02, 2023, 05:44:52 AM »
I’ve been looking at a UniVox HighFlier for over a week now , and accepted the inevitable , it will be on the way here. It’s a Phase II model , clean , looks to be great condition. The classic Mosrite copy.
I used to think my Samurai was the ultimate Japanese surf bass , that might change.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Matsumoku
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 09:17:06 AM »
There's definitely something cool and appealing about that old Mosrite design. The longer lower horn and the slanted neck pickup... Have fun!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 09:17:58 AM »
Very nice! Aria have recently reissued their Mosrite bass copy. A cool design!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 01:01:05 PM »
I have always liked that bass model.  Years ago I had the pieces for one and sold it to someone - on this forum, I think.  Not sure if it was ever finished. 

I'd rock it proudly!  Light, attractive, and   the sound should be good.  I have a hollow body Univox "Coily" and if I'll ever get around to replacing the pickup selector switch it will be very giggable.  I have played it at gigs in the past and it sounds great.

Plenty of vertical head nods here.  Well done!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 02:50:18 PM »
Beautiful!

In my somewhat limited experience, these are better than the Mosrites they copied. Better built, better tone.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »
Some friends are working up a little mostly instrumental project , kind of a Ventures approach with a Mexican twist. Spaghetti Western music.
Should be the perfect companion to the Flying Samurai.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 08:42:23 AM »
Killer deal at US$510. Congrats!
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 05:23:16 AM »
   I had one of these back in the day! My first solid body bass, it was my transition from my Klira and Hofner would eventually lead to Thunderbirds.  I  bought mine at the House of Guitars used for 30 bucks and road home on my bike with it over my shoulder. Great little bass and easily out performed my hollow body basses for the rock material we were doing.  Unfortunately I sold it to a friend, one of these day I'm going to get another! Congratulations Morrow!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 05:01:13 PM »
Well Canada Post certainly sucks around this time of year. I was initially looking at delivery for Tuesday morning , now it might be delivered tomorrow.
I had been hoping to give it a shot during tomorrow’s rehearsal , but might have to let it warm up a bit before opening the box.
On the other hand it’s already about fifty years old , and despite the thick poly finish I expect it to be already somewhat reliced , although it did look surprisingly clean in the seller’s photos.
I’m looking forward to firing this thing up.
Tomorrow can’t come fast enough.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:08:21 PM by morrow »

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 02:13:03 PM »

Well it arrived , I like it. Lightweight , reasonable set up , I’ll tweak that over the next few days. Used it on the afternoon rehearsal for that instrumental project. It’s got that Ventures vibe. The band loved it!
Perfect little rig for that project! Sounds good , strung with fresh chromes.
Nice beefy neck for a short scale. Comfortable to play.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 02:27:43 PM »
Nice!  :toast:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 07:19:01 PM »
Great choice! Enjoy it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."