Author Topic: New Guild Starfire with Split P  (Read 4097 times)

D.M.N.

• View Profile
Re: New Guild Starfire with Split P
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
Looks perfect to me. Thanks to the chrome ring/casing.
Simple, classic.

Bass sounds the part too:

Wow, color me impressed with her playing. Very cool. Bass sounds pretty decent as well.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
I asked four of my friends what they thought about a split P in a semi hollow bass.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 02:22:05 AM »
You forgot to ask Peter Hook!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 05:14:40 AM »
or New Adventures  8)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 08:10:12 AM »
Cool and new to me. Who's the bass player in this line up?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »
Co-founder Harry de Winter!

He has always used strange hybrid basses with a split p pickup.

I remember an Explorer body with P neck and split P pickup
And he also had some sort of modified Thunderbird.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:30:40 AM by Basvarken »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »
Wow, color me impressed with her playing. Very cool. Bass sounds pretty decent as well.

Its okay, but it isn't really how most of us ever get to play bass in a band. Its acoustic guitar playing, with some bass-isms thrown in; fidgety finger-picking where each note comes out with a different tone or timbre. Still, I've gigged to nobody but my cats in the last year so maybe this is what the future of music looks like?

I wonder if our resident Dutch Lothario Crispy Decker has caught wind of this video yet?  :mrgreen: 

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »
resident Dutch Lothario Crispy Decker

:rimshot: :mrgreen:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have caught wind of the splendid vid, and about my lotharioism: it has been me and my he-cat in my household for a long time. Any encounters with the female kind feel like ages ago.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »

I'm not a fan.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 11:19:44 PM »

In all fairness, Hook's stuff that really mattered (IMO) - aka Joy Division - was played on a Hondo Ric copy and a Yamaha BB1200...

I like Starfires in general - my main 6-string is a '66 SF II - but have absolutely zero interest in this one.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »
In all fairness, Hook's stuff that really mattered (IMO) - aka Joy Division - was played on a Hondo Ric copy and a Yamaha BB1200...

Peter Hook is lucky that Joy Division had Stephen Morris behind the drums. Peter got away with listlessly twanging away through a chorus pedal because the drums were rock solid. I think a lot of Peter's aggressively Mancunian divorcee-Dad bluster comes from the fact that deep down he knows he's a crap bassist who got very very lucky. 

There's a glib, pseudo-intellectual streak about Joy Division's music that annoys me. They were crap at their instruments (except Stephen Morris), but were picked up by a producer who gave their rink-a-dink garage band sound a big spacious, dark tonality that made them sound brooding and experimental. Parallels are often drawn between Joy Division and genuinely gifted German bands of five years previous, such as Neu!, Cluster et al.

And all of this is before we discuss the clumsy dabblings with Nazi imagery to try desperately to give themselves a bit of an edge.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »
...the fact that deep down he knows he's a crap bassist who got very very lucky. 

That sounds about right. With that said, I still like some of his lines.

They were crap at their instruments (except Stephen Morris), but were picked up by a producer who gave their rink-a-dink garage band sound a big spacious, dark tonality that made them sound brooding and experimental.

Yep, compared to their neighbours from Magazine JD sounds outright childish. I would venture a guess that for a lot of people - myself included - it was Curtis' lyrics and/or delivery that made a world of difference between them and a zillion other not-so-well-prepared outfits.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 02:48:50 AM »
I'm not a big New Order or Joy Division fan, but I do like his bass lines and I think he became a (very) proper bassist. And he just has a cool attitude on stage and I cool, decent, melodic rock players often better than other bass players.

He had succes with at least four bands (Monaco and now his solo outings) so I guess he faired quite well.

Having said that: I met him several times and he's a real gentleman. A polite, soft spoken and witty man.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
Peter Hook is lucky that Joy Division had Stephen Morris behind the drums. Peter got away with listlessly twanging away through a chorus pedal because the drums were rock solid. I think a lot of Peter's aggressively Mancunian divorcee-Dad bluster comes from the fact that deep down he knows he's a crap bassist who got very very lucky. 

There's a glib, pseudo-intellectual streak about Joy Division's music that annoys me. They were crap at their instruments (except Stephen Morris), but were picked up by a producer who gave their rink-a-dink garage band sound a big spacious, dark tonality that made them sound brooding and experimental. Parallels are often drawn between Joy Division and genuinely gifted German bands of five years previous, such as Neu!, Cluster et al.

And all of this is before we discuss the clumsy dabblings with Nazi imagery to try desperately to give themselves a bit of an edge.

Erm, no, he's reeeeeeeally full of himself.  Like there was one interveiw (recent, like within the last decade) where he listed off how "even" his son was starting to notice and remark to him at the sheer number of bassists in popular bands today who owed him or were ripping off his style.  Sure, they say that behind every superiority complex is an inferiority complex, but still.  Also the nerve of that dude to do some of the shit he does (riding off the back cataloge via endless covers with his current 'solo project' band and remixes; his DJ tour which sucked and where he just kept getting the crowd to jerk him off).

The point is, he wasn't the first to make bass a lead or melodic instrument, nor did he write the songs.  I fell into a similar style (and according to lore, for similar reasons), but In addition, and higher in priority, I give credit to Steve Severin (who is similarly leady/melodic, just not all the time like Hooky; some songs need to go another way) and Reggae in general, among others.  Steve is much more my kinda bassist; quiet and unassuming (the bassist with mystique, to borrow and modify a phrase)- rarely spoke in interviews, but when he did it wasn't bullshit; (co)wrote many of the songs (including lyrics, a la Dee Dee Ramone) and was the peacemaker in the band (see Siouxsie mad at Robert Smith when he left the band to focus on The Cure - Steve did The Glove side project with Smith after that).

Morris was pretty solid as a metronome, but you could see (in the BBC footage and other vids) that the 2 hand 16ths on the high hat had him riding the edge of the cliff as regards his ability (which is fair enough; keep that up for a 40 minute set).  Props to him that he never tumbled and gave us those offbeat rack tom hits in the bargain, but Steve had Budgie, who, hands down, is a better drummer, easily more versatile (see also his time with The Slits) and makes crazy shit look like he's barely trying.  This is a guy who blew Stewart Copeland's mind enough to comment publicly/on the record about it, which is saying something.

I love Joy Division, but it's got little to do with them being great musicians or people, and I've never been one for the cult of celebrity; the whole was definitely greater than the sum of the parts in that case.  Also, a lot of credit needs to go to Martin Hannet (compare the proper albums to the live/BBC stuff).  I just wince every time someone comes along pumping Love Will Tear US Apart, because it's their worst song and overplayed at that (relatively to the rest of their catalogue).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)