Author Topic: What should I do with my '67 Thunderbird ?  (Read 4931 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
What should I do with my '67 Thunderbird ?
« on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
 Ok guys I'm torn by what to do here. The '67 I have been bringing back has a UGLY pickup by the bridge, I think it is a Lawrence. It sounds good but I never use it. I am thinking putting a Thunderbird pickup in there mainly so I don't have to look at that  black plastic. The bass started off as a II then someone added the extra pup. I could do a refine and turn it back to a II but I have been thinking I am going to keep it in it's state of mojo. What say you guys ? Turn it into a IV or just leave it  as it is ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do with my '67 Thunderbird ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
I'd say refin it, in Pelham Blue, the best color in our galaxy!
If you use the bridge pickup, leave it, or else make it a II.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »
i vote make it a 4, you can always do a refin back to a 2
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
Why not just mount an empty chrome cover without a pickup in it?

Look good and can serve as a thumb anchor.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
Why not just mount an empty chrome cover without a pickup in it?

Look good and can serve as a thumb anchor.
  To a rational person that might make a whole lot of sense but it would just drive insane knowing there is no pickup under there.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »
I would probably refin it and make it a II again. If you like the finish in its present condition, just remove the pickup and leave it open. Use it as a compartment to shoot sparklers out of.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »
I know what you could do, send her over to me, just for a decade or two - the perfect spec to try and convert me to NR T'birds... promise I'd treat her like she was my own...!

... oh, and yes, I first saw Mr Lea in 1973 (with a support act called Home that featured Laurie Wisefield, later of #2 Wishbone Ash (another T'bird band) and a bass player that now plays for some small Oz band, AB/CD or something like that...?, last time I saw Slade was '82 or there abouts... even had the Ambrose Slade LP... sad but true... and thanks for the words... how's the DR201 pair running (I'm DR103-SWITCH on the VABB site) ...?

Re your "pup" - if it sounds good, use it, if you don't use it, lose it (ps, any spare pickups to Ken Stewart, Reevesland-Upon-Thames, Surrey, UK :mrgreen:, oh yeah, especially if it fits an RDArtist slot, but it don't,so :-[...) - as for finishes, sometimes it's great to play a relic just because it is a relic, regardless of the condition - anyone can have a perfect looking instrument - my only concerns re instruments are a) does she play well and b) does she sound good - I fully understand esthetics, but...

Looks like she could be a beautiful player - don't leave her for the encores...

If you really want her "finished" I could offer some colour advice, re mine...!

Oh. and can someone tell me more about "Pelham Blue"...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »

Couldn't you add a Lull pup?

I know you could make it work   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
Couldn't you add a Lull pup?

I know you could make it work   ;)
  That's what I am thinking of Mark. Just not sure what I am going to do with it (besides keep it)   ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »

I think you should just play the hell out of it!

If keeping it ever becomes an issue...............well, you have my phone #  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
"Why not just mount an empty chrome cover without a pickup in it?"
Now, that sure sounds like close to hell. Like putting a Lloyd engine in a Jaguar (anyone remembers the Lloyd cars? Extremely small and weak vehicles from the 60's)...

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »
just leave it this was of try to find a chrome cover for over the black pup.
I wouldn't do anything do this bass beside putting the string updie down but that's because I'm lefthanded.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
One day, in the not too far future, sunburst will be the exception rather than the rule.

It's been changed to a IV - you can't undo that, but the finish is still good enough to keep.

I'd get a chrome pickup instead of the black one, and leave it at that.

Blazer

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »
I would probably refin it and make it a II again. If you like the finish in its present condition, just remove the pickup and leave it open. Use it as a compartment to shoot sparklers out of.
Yeah, go all Ace Frehley with it.

One of Ace Frehley's smoker Les Pauls, as you can see, the smoke bombs have burned a hole right through the body. What can I say, the ultimate relic?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »
One day, in the not too far future, sunburst will be the exception rather than the rule.

It's been changed to a IV - you can't undo that, but the finish is still good enough to keep.

I'd get a chrome pickup instead of the black one, and leave it at that.
  Jules believe me I thought of the same thing about sunbursts being the exception. I think this is the best course of action. Put a proper Thunderbird pickup in and leave as is. Thanks Jules for your input and everyone else as well.