Author Topic: why your band should never practice  (Read 2103 times)

nofi

why your band should never practice
« on: June 07, 2008, 06:54:37 AM »
well, almost never. disregard this if you are in a cover band where things pretty much have to be faithful to the original or if you are so anal you can't check your ego at the door. if you play original tunes with the odd obscure cover this may be fun for you. practice enough so that everyone basically knows the songs. that's all. the fun things about playing live rock music are the unintentional errors that add something to the tune. like the surprise bit of feedback, a dropped beat or spontaneous 'vocalising' by somebody. all of this can ADD to the show excitement and funwise. rock and roll is supposed to be spontaneous, seat of your pants kind of a thing in mho so this won't be embaced by everyone. just think stooges, mc5, any real punk band worth it's salt and of course the jazz 'jam' session. it's only rock and roll, we can make more.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:05:29 AM by nofi »

rahock

• View Profile
Re: why your band should never practice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
Tom,
I had no idea you were an MC-5 and Stooges fan :o
I thought nobody but Detroit area people would remember them.
These are boys from my neck of the woods. I used to do a little jammin' with Dennis Thompson from the MC-5 a few years back.

Rick

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
Here's a band that obviously never practiced.

nofi

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »
maybe i should clarify, you actual need SOME talent to pull this off.  :o

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
That was awful !  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
maybe i should clarify, you actual need SOME talent to pull this off.  :o
or beer.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »
As bad as the original version ( begging the pardon of any fans ) was................................................I think I like these guys.............................................better! ;)

But to the original theme, I agree practice makes you better at practicing
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:33:53 AM »
  practice enough so that everyone basically knows the songs. that's all. unintentional errors that add something to the tune. like the surprise bit of feedback, a dropped beat or spontaneous 'vocalising' by somebody. all of this can ADD to the show excitement and funwise. rock and roll is supposed to be spontaneous, seat of your pants kind of a thing in mho  it's only rock and roll, we can make more.   ;)

Sounds like last night and this afternoons shows   ;D

We play what can best be described as swamp rock. We rarely practice, we all know most of the songs and your description is almost perfect.
Digresion our specialty!

Tim Armstrong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
Well, my band very rarely practices, but we make up for it by gigging a whole lot, so I can see where you're coming from.

But I think a lot of that depends on the complexity of the arrangements.  I know if I could ever find myself in a band that did cool multi-part vocal harmonies, for example, I'd sure as hell want to spend some serious time on getting them right...

Cheers, Tim