Author Topic: New Dano Longhorns  (Read 14177 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
New Dano Longhorns
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:04:15 AM »
Guys,

I can get a brand new Longhorn very cheap. It's the one with hotter lipsticks, adjustable metal bridge, two controls and a toggle switch. Any experiences with those basses?

Thanks in advance!

rahock

• View Profile
Re: New Dano Longhorns
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »
I think Danos are great. I'm a die hard Fender bigot and have been for almost 40 years but I love those Danos.
Bang for the buck ,there is nothing even close :o.

I have not played any of the new ones, but I've heard good things. Same old vibe.

Rick

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:17:06 AM »
I've recently A/B'ed one with my vintage one and they don't sound alike. They are more treble focussed with less "vibe" in the sound then the orginal had. I must say that some of the mods make the unit much better playable; the individual saddles, the toggle switch and the two controls (I can have a hard time finding my sound with those stacked pots)..........

Also, they don't have their pickups in series like the old had
Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:24:18 AM »
Thanks guys.

It won't be my main bass, but more something fir fun. And I can get one really cheap... I can always mod it!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »
I've recently A/B'ed one with my vintage one and they don't sound alike. They are more treble focussed with less "vibe" in the sound then the orginal had. I must say that some of the mods make the unit much better playable; the individual saddles, the toggle switch and the two controls (I can have a hard time finding my sound with those stacked pots)..........

Also, they don't have their pickups in series like the old had

Interesting news :) When I heard a demo of one of the new Danos online it seemed to me that there was a whole lot more treble than I remembered,but unless you're the one who is playing it and tweaking it in , you don't really know what you've got.
The thing that I always liked about the old Danos was the distinctive bottom end.  The few that I played really had a definate personality and that is something you don't usually find without a heaviy price tag.

Rick

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
+1 on the personality! I love mine (from '67)

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »
I say snatch it up!!  I love my Dano Longhorn, it has such a great sound and is perfect for traveling (backup) or practice.
I have heard some unkind things about the newer adjustable saddle bridge, but I'm sure that the newer tuners would have to be an improvement.

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »
Interesting news :) When I heard a demo of one of the new Danos online it seemed to me that there was a whole lot more treble than I remembered,but unless you're the one who is playing it and tweaking it in , you don't really know what you've got.
The thing that I always liked about the old Danos was the distinctive bottom end.  The few that I played really had a definate personality and that is something you don't usually find without a heaviy price tag.

Rick

Yeah that's also my experience from having played a vintage one at last March's vintage fair in Veenendaal. It felt rubbery and small but it has a seemingly bottomless low end, I tried it through an Ampeg SVT head and 4x10 cab. I played some Beatles and some Jack Bruce and the Dano held the thing together nicely.

Ade, my bassplayer who was there when I played the Dano, is looking towards getting one of the new ones as a backup for his Gretsch Baritone jet six string bass because he really loved that "Brutal low end" that little Dano gave. I hate to dissappoint him about the new ones seemingly sounding different.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
Chris did you see the Longhorn that Neil Merryweather played in the vid that I did? From about 2:12.

Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »
Cool clip, nice Longhorn!

I think I'll order one, so I can give you some info about my experiences. Maybe it's a bit more trebly, but maybe it's better usable in a band situation too... I know it has hotter pick ups, and normally I don't like that. But for the money...

Blazer

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
I played one today through an Eden set up and was pleasantly surprised, it sounds really good, it does have that "Twang" of a short scale and I did a decent Stanley impersionation when using the bridge pickup and playing the main riff of "Schooldays" But even more surprising was how good the little bass sounded when I slapped my way through Level 42's "Lessons in love"

My drummer who was with me said "There's NO WAY a bass that cheap has the right to sound that good." But it does.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 03:19:44 AM »
Okay, thanks Blazer! I keep in touch.

And what about thundering lows? ;)

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 04:20:19 AM »

My drummer who was with me said "There's NO WAY a bass that cheap has the right to sound that good." But it does.

That's what everyone says ;D
Dano violates so much of what we've learned about what it takes to make a good instrument(like ...start with a fine piece of wood). I dunno ....but they make it work.

Rick

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 04:35:30 AM »
Hey, they are hollow :)

Not so much wood on these ones!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 04:59:34 AM »
Hey, they are hollow :)

Not so much wood on these ones!

The bodies are made of masonite or some such material. The only real wood is the neck :o
Rick