Author Topic: Greco Birds...  (Read 10767 times)

angrymatt

• View Profile
Greco Birds...
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:24 PM »
I'm putting a fair amount of wear and tear on my Thunderbird, and since I cracked the headstock to my Heritage bass, my only other back up bass is a terrible Aria that was an impulse buy a few years ago (it's not a bad bass, I just don't care for it, it doesn't enthuse me in any way).

What are the opinions of other posters about Greco Birds?  I remember from the old site TBird1958 had some positive things to say about them, but... well you know.

Would a decent old greco bird be a good beater bass until the BaCHBird comes out, or my broke ass saves enough cash for another real one?
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
A Queen's opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »
 Heya

I really do like my Greco TB II quite a bit, it's a good player, the pick up absolutely roars. To my mind the average going $$$ on ebay makes them a very attractive alternative to Gibson, I'd also say its way better than an Epiphone for playing and sound. Scott (BassIV) also has a couple if I recall, The neck profile is different from a Gibson and the scale is about 1/2" shorter, thus I always think of mine as the "little" Bird.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:48:51 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: Greco Birds...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »
I have a Greco Thunderbird too. I has a real powerful growly tone.
The (set) neck is a bit chunkier than a Gibson Tbird, but other than that it's pretty close to the real thing.
I bought it in 2003 from Takahiro Nasu in Tokyo through Ebay.

I used it on one of the songs of our new album.
Here's a short sample.

And I've been using it in another band that I'm helping out till they've found a new bassplayer.
I found out it goes really well with the Orange AD200. The Greco Tbird wakes up the beast inside the AD200.

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 02:41:06 PM »
My Greo T-Bird looks exactly like Rob's. As others have stated, the pickups are excellent. I also like the neck profile.
I've been thinking about selling it, though. I've been on a short-scale kick lately and it isn't getting much love. Plus, I just bought one of those $699 SG Supremes.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »
Thanks for all the insights guys.  I'm hoping to pick one up somewheres around Marchish.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Johnny Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »
The pickups look to be the same as in this RVL Special:

They do sound excellent and do the T-Bird sound a whole lot better than my Orville does(even thinking swapping the middle pickup to my Orville's front pickup for a test).

There's a black one on evilBay that looks like it was left outside near saltwater for a year(massive amounts of corrosion). I would seriously avoid that one. If the hardware is that hosed, the wood and esp the neck may be questionable.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:38:38 PM by Johnny Crab »
If you are truly interested in the truth, start by turning off the television.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »
I LOVE my Greco II. I had a IV but sold it. I'd buy another one though. I never noticed it being slightly shorter in scale, but I do notice the neck meeting the body at a higher fret than the Gibsons (one fret later). It makes the bass feel longer in the first position because it's a long stretch to begin with. Not that big a deal unless you're sensitive to that already with a Gibson. The nut width is more P bass than Jazz, but it doesn't feel clubby to me. My '77 II sounds really nice and has the same character as my '65 II (which, alas, I sold). I can't say it sounds exactly like it because no two Thunderbirds sound exactly alike to me. It sounds closer to the '65 than my newer Gibsons though.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
Mark and George, would you please measure the scale length of your Grecos (inside edge of nut to center of 12th fret x 2)? I remember someone did this at DPv.3 but that info is gone. I'm curious, just wondering if all Greco birds are the same scale length.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »
Don't rule out a Studio Tbird.  I got mine about a year ago for a little under $600 - in new condition.  I haven't seen the flood gate open on Studio birds like the GOW week stuff and Monkey basses but since they've been discontinued you might find a deal on one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:44:17 AM by lightyear »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 05:06:36 AM »
One of the guys that we get together with at the FDP Ohio jams brought a Studio T-Bird V last summer.  It sounded awfully nice.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »
That one on ebay with all the corrosion appealed to me a little, as with it as beat up as it is I wouldn't stress over abusing it too much.  But you're right, too risky.  I'd have to play it first before I would hand over any cash.

I've long been a four string devotee, but lately for some reason I've been flirting with some of those more stringy types.  If I could get my hands on a fiver t-bird studio I'd be in minor heaven.

And one more question.  What about the Epi elitist birds?  I assume since they're Japanese their much better than the standard epi birds.
angrymatt, the lurk

rockinrayduke

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 01:24:06 PM »
Mark and George, would you please measure the scale length of your Grecos (inside edge of nut to center of 12th fret x 2)? I remember someone did this at DPv.3 but that info is gone. I'm curious, just wondering if all Greco birds are the same scale length.

Mine measures 33 3/4" (16 7/8" x 2).

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRECO-86-THUNDERBIRD-BLACK-Japan-Made-Bass_W0QQitemZ320217954749QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's one going for real cheap.....

HOLY CRAP!!  :o :o

That is some kind of corroded!  :o  This dude must be some type of bass playing super villain that sweats suphuric acid.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »
Unfortunately, the unmagic words were there - "neck has a slight twist"

He was honest about it, though, and pics seem to verify it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty