Author Topic: Meet "Myron".....  (Read 2499 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Meet "Myron".....
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
 One of my pgs could be reliced :)
I'm hurting Scott's business, I know  :-[ :-\, but I'd leave the dilapidated pg on - adds to the vintage vibe.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »
I'm hurting Scott's business, I know  :-[ :-\, but I'd leave the dilapidated pg on - adds to the vintage vibe.

Uwe....I agree that old PG definitely adds to the vintage vibe. I want a spare black PG because I also live in New Orleans....and if I do any big gigs there, a gold N black bass will get the crowd going because that's the New Orleans Saints football team colors :)  Mostly though, I'll probably keep the original beat PG on it.

I jokingly had told the guy who painted it to add a HUGE "WHO DAT" on the backside, so I could flip it over onstage between songs...that's the catchphrase of all the Saints fans. I'm actually having that printed on transparant vinyl  to staticly attach to the back as a beltguard for the same visual effect.

The bass really does look pretty correct....the vintage aging, original silver control cavity, painted fingerboard edges, correct original '64 electronics/hardware. I think the sweat and fingerboard spooge was even from '64 but most of that got removed.....

HEY.....Is that "Unk" bass a Gibson or an Epi or Greco?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
partz iz partz bass. epi /maho body, set gibby neck & gibby pups/hardware. pontiac gold  paint!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
Beautiful Bird! Still interested in pgs? Sadly a unbroken bird is just a broken bird waiting to happen :(  I had unbroken ones for years, I sold the last off about 6 years ago. All my NRs have headstock repairs, funny I still worry about the at gigs just the same.

Which is why I rarely take my '76 out of the house. A few weeks back, I took it to rehearsal. My wife says "you're asking for trouble". "Nah" sez I, "I'll be very careful". Naturally, before we even started playing, one of the guitar players turned around to adjust his amp, and "Whack!" goes his Tele's headstock into the T-Bird's. After resuscitation, I checked and everything looked okay, but I had visions of THIS dancing in my head:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
I don't worry about taking my sixties and seventies Birds out for rehearsals and gigs too much. I always think: Anything these instruments experience with me (ok, I would probably not let the drummer drum part of his drum solo on a vintage bass like I let him do it in the eighties with my Kramer alu neck, it was part of our stage act, always sounded great, like Mark King gone mad) is probably nothing compared to the ordeals they have gone through with series of pre-owners. Basses have a certain karma, they either break (and if they do, it can happen in the living room) or they don't. I've knocked the headstock of my well-repaired Reverse IV once badly, but it held fast, and the not so well repaired one of my Embassy came off without outside influence while it was placed in a (not neck hanging) stand for months.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »

No "closet queens" at my house - We're all out getting played  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
Which is why I rarely take my '76 out of the house. A few weeks back, I took it to rehearsal. My wife says "you're asking for trouble". "Nah" sez I, "I'll be very careful". Naturally, before we even started playing, one of the guitar players turned around to adjust his amp, and "Whack!" goes his Tele's headstock into the T-Bird's. After resuscitation, I checked and everything looked okay, but I had visions of THIS dancing in my head:

The way this came off, it already had fissures. They are not THAT  :o unstable.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »
I'm wondering...If that was a set up. It snapped off as if it were not even attached in the first place.