Author Topic: Jack Hack  (Read 11347 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Jack Hack
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
another thread descends in to the bowels of the hypothetical back passage.  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:09 AM »
Yes, deplorably so. When actually there are more important things in life and, as a noted astronomer once said, man's quest should
really be Uranus surrounded by its ring of debris.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:11:59 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »

Yes, deplorably so. When actually there are more important things in life and, as a noted astronomer once said, man's quest should
really be Uranus surrounded by its ring of debris.

That's what we call Klingons.............  ;)

It's a good reason to trim the hair around one's ................... ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
"I know you only have eyes for U Ewe ..."

The reason why the sheep are all nervous in Wales  ;)

... And quite right too, Herr Ken, ever heard of the ius primae noctis bestowed upon Global Moderators here?

:o :o :o  ... hold up... Phew...! I suddenly remembered that there are no moderators in the UK... ;D

... and just for a bit of balance...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »
That song is my ringtone. Most fitting for a lawyer me thinks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 11:40:47 PM »
ROFL from the disapproving look of some of your comrades... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »
To much OT here...  :bored:

To get back to the original question, if you are using the tone pot and want to get the most out of it, I would replace it with a VariTone. There are are number of those on the market. I got the HAS Varitone Plus. It is great because it also got a push/pull blend pot, but Stan has stopped making them. But there is also CertainBass Varitone, Big D Varitone, Stellartone Tonestyler (expensive!) and Villex Passive rotary tone booster, and of course you can also DIY if you are good with soldering (the link shows how to make the same as the HAS Varitone Plus with a push/pull blend pot).

I replaced the bridge on my Jackbass with a Hipshot Supertone. Don't know if it adds sustain, but it sure makes it easier to get the intonation right. I can't understand why Gibson/Epiphone insist on using those useless bridges.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 02:42:31 AM »
How can you not get intonation right with a three point?  ??? I'm an intonation obsessive and I've never had issues other than if you adjust height, slant the bridge differently enough, you will have to reintonate again. But that is the nature of the beast. Before you complain, look at a Ric bridge!  :mrgreen: I've never had a case where a three point's range is not sufficient for pitch perfect intonation and I've set up hundreds of them with all kinds of strings.

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »
I did not say you cannot get the intonation right with a Gibson 3-point. I said it is easier to get it right with a Hipshot Supertone. Meaning I can get it right with a 3-point, but I can get it right easier and quicker with a Supertone. The 3-point is not good only because Rickenbacker got even worse bridges, and the Supertone is better than all of them.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 04:48:49 AM »
Chances are you've got more sustain with the Supertone. It did wonders for my (ex-)Rivoli ...... 
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 04:56:50 AM »
It is difficult to compare if you don't have two basses, but the Supertone did take care of the bridge screws coming out of the bass. And it helped to level, albeit did not cure, the neck dive.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
The Supertone, of course, allows intonaton adjustment without action influence and vice versa. It
also did help with the sustain on my Blackbird. Not that TBirds have a sustain issue, but there was a small difference.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »

You couldn't pay me to put a Supertone on one of my 'Birds........Aesthics alone won't allow me!
Aside from that, once properly set up a three point doesn't require anything special in terms of maintainence - if anything it's a quite robust design (altho lacking in any sort of Teutonic cleverness) that takes my playing style very well.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
I've never tried a Supertone, but to echo Mark, I've never had any issues with any of the 3 point bridges on my basses.  the sustain factor is non-issue for me.  all of my basses, regardless of the bridge, have no problem with sustain.  I have a hard time imagining an electric bass that wouldn't have sufficient sustain.  or maybe I don't understand sustain.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »
Sustain is overrated.  ;D