Author Topic: Wigwam: Being (A Finnish progrock classic from 1974)  (Read 990 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Wigwam: Being (A Finnish progrock classic from 1974)
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
If I recall correctly here are few other progressive rock fans besides me and some of you might have not heard the album mentioned above so...

Wigwam was/is a legendary Finnish band founded in the late '60s and while they had many different line-ups and albums of many styles I'd like to introduce their the most progressive period masterpiece. The band at the time comprised of

from left:
Ronnie Österberg: drums
Jukka Gustavson: vocals, organ, piano, synth
Jim Pembroke: vocals, piano
Pekka Pohjola: bass, violin

A virtuoso organist/composer and bassist/composer, an eccentric english singer/songwriter and an drummer who kept the bands feet on the ground. "Being" was a concept album mainly composed by Jukka Gustavson and while it was misunderstood at some corners being a left-wing album it critisised all politics and religion. It was definitely "in" for an artist to be a left-winger at the time in Finland and some of the lyrics by Gustavson were even censored by the left-wing record company.

Crisader (Jukka Gustavson)

Planetist (Pekka Pohjola)

Prophet (Jukka Gustavson)/Marvelry Skimmer (Jim Pembroke)

More on Wigwam:
http://wigwam.stc.cx/beginners.htm

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: Wigwam: Being (A Finnish progrock classic from 1974)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
I remember that band from my prog-rock days when I worked with an electric violinist and also from my "all night FM radio DJ" days....actually played them on US radio a bit.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Wigwam: Being (A Finnish progrock classic from 1974)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:11:33 AM »
I will have to check them out.