Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

GMC Denali

(1/6) > >>

Chris P.:
This morning I was on my way to Arnheim to the De Bassist HQ. First I saw the crashed airplane of Turkish Air which came down last week. Very impressive... In a bad way.

But an hour later my rear view mirror was showing a very big black car wanting to take me over. Of course I gave way and I saw it was a very big GMC SUV. I never saw that one earlier in Holland.

The back said: 'GMC Denali'. I was thinking about GM and still making this big trucks. Has someone played with this badge? Shouldn't it read: 'GMC Denial'? 

Dave W:
I don't think they're in denial anymore.

The GMC brand will very likely be scrapped by GM -- if GM survives at all.

Pilgrim:
I've been thinking the same thing - WHY is GM even considering keeping GMC????  When I was selling Chevys in 1979-80, we occasionally got new Chevy pickups with GMC logos on them. There hasn't been any difference between those lines at the consumer level in 30 years. The FIRST decision I would have made - and it would have been earlier than last year - would have been to drop the GMC brand and make all trucks Chevrolets - and drop all duplicates between those lines.

Frankly, the deeper GM gets the more I suspect they'll have to go bankrupt, but hopefully but in such a fashion that they can re-organize instead of being dismantled.  I wouldn't be surprised if they emerged with just two brands - Chevrolet and X...with Chevy being their leading sales line in the US, and X being whatever line sells best overseas.  Right now that looks like Buick from what I've heard.

I wouldn't like that - I had a '66 GTO and Pontiac is a line I have a long-time affinity for - but them's the breaks.

gweimer:
I hear they may kill off Saturn, too.  Pity.  I've loved all the Saturns I've had.  We've had 2 (still have the Vue) and both kids have 2001 SL-2s, which they love.

Lightyear:
I thought that Saturn was as bright a spot as any they had - they actually seem to do well here in Houston - tons of the new little SUV's all over town.

The news I hear today is that their own internal audit says that bankruptcy is most likely the only option.  Probably the best solution - restructure their debt and break the money sucking deal with the union.  It will hurt in the short run but not as much as Uncle Sugar thowing billions at a no win situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version