Author Topic: Favorite bass song: a confession  (Read 13898 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite bass song: a confession
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:05 PM »
Dave is probably the only person  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: in this forum/on earth stadium-rock-averse enought not to know where most of us know this song from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey2zwdErPvQ&playnext=1&list=PL16D6D409AAF2F193

I never listened to Black Sabbath except for Paranoid which got some mainstream airplay. If Wikipedia is correct, looks like their version never charted anywhere. After listening to the vocals, I don't wonder why.

Incidentally, I saw Crow open for Airplane in early 1970 at the old Minneapolis Auditorium. Crow was great. Airplane was godawful. We came to see Crow and decided to stay but there was just so much strung out shrieking Grace Slick we could take.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »
There shouldn't be a question as tortorous as "what's your fav bass part", but if I had really to choose, I'd say Colin Edwin's work on "Metanoia".

Ofcourse tomorrow I'll change my mind and choose something from Smiths, and the day after I will really like the parts on the Intronaut albums etc etc etc....
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
I probably got hooked on this one way back when... still really rate Mr Dunnaway...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
I saw the guy from Crow playing bass with an oldies cover band a few years back at an outdoor festival day of some sort.  He played fine, and looked healthy.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Speaking of the first Sabbath album, I would have to say that N.I.B. was a huge inspiration for me, and probably the first bass line I learned to play. Not so much the bass solo at the beginning, but that's cool too! I just love the distorted tone when the riff comes in, though I don't think I was aware of the subtleties when I was a kid...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
My favorite bass song would probably involve Jack Casady, one of the earliest that the bass playing just blew mr away was a song titled Can't You See by a midwest band called The Flock. But when I see "Evil Woman" I think of this:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »

same version as above.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:50:32 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
I saw the guy from Crow playing bass with an oldies cover band a few years back at an outdoor festival day of some sort.  He played fine, and looked healthy.

I saw a re-formed Crow twice in the late 80s at local clubs.

Here's the original hit lineup last year in Duluth. Evil Woman starts at 1:30. Denny Craswell (also drummer for The Castaways) took over on drums after Evil Woman was recorded but before it was released.

Not bad for old men.  ;)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
Watching Jack Cornell from The Fabulous Knobs back in 1979 at the tender age of 12 made me realize that I wanted to play bass.  I was taking guitar lessons but soon realized that I really was more into the bass.  When I next saw Jack in 1986 with The Woods, I was totally hooked.  He isn't a particularly technical nor intricate bassist but his parts had that certain groove that made the songs work.  Today he plays with The Olympic Ass Kicking Team and still sounds great...

The Knobs from 30 years ago...

Hornisse

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »
When I think of Evil Woman I think of this:

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »
 :sad: Think again grasshopper .........

Experience is the ultimate teacher

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 07:04:34 AM »
american songwriter larry weiss wrote the canned heat/spooky tooth 'evil woman'. the crows released their 'evil woman' first and it was later covered by sabbath. crow was the author of that song as well. jeff lynne of elo wrote their 'evil woman'.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:11:28 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Anybody who doesn't rate John Taylor highly as a bass player must be deaf. Even George (Carlston) likes him.

There's too many to name, but this is a favorite of mine:

I'll see your "Move Over" Uwe, and raise you "Let The Good Times Roll", live in '75.
......... try to keep up at the back there!

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
Zeppelin - Ramble On
Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
Steely Dan - Josie (actually, anything off "Aja" for that matter)
Beatles - Paperback Writer

Really pivotal for me, those tunes. After I'd started playing bass back in the early 80's, I then discovered The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions and ZZ Top's "Deguello" which helped to open up the whole roots genre for me ...... I still dig listening to some righteous Rock and Roll but the roots stuff now really holds my attention. Latest that I really like is Lee Rocker's solo stuff, either with Big Blue or just on his own. The Setzer stuff blows me away too ..... I guess primarily because I'm playing about 80% stand-up now.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »
Another favorite bass song that got me hooked on bass was Savoy Brown's "Hellbound Train".  To this day, I still don't know who played bass on that track.  Tony Stevens (one of my favorites), had already left Savoy to help form Foghat before HB was released.  I've read bass credits for Hellbound Train given to Andy Silvester, Andy Pyle and Dave Walker - no matter, it's a great track.

Maybe someone here knows for sure.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.