Author Topic: Baz Cooper Custom Futura 8  (Read 13394 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Baz Cooper Custom Futura 8
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2015, 03:31:27 AM »
I love that Futura bass...I've never seen one before!

I had floated the idea of having that body shape programmed as a bolt-neck on another forum, but got no takers.

I guess it's an acquired taste.

8)

Always liked the Futura shape, but you know how conservative 90% of all bassists are.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2015, 03:38:18 AM »

Okay..Okay.. Ya got Me...BAD-ASSS!!!!!!!   I WOULD Trade YOU my Hamer Candy Apple Red Thunderbird 8 string for this bass.. but ONLY to you. The former owner of my bass offered me a 1964 Thunderbird II for it... I said, "No".

I feel honored, but it's a keeper!!! I
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:08:29 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2015, 04:00:57 AM »
Uwe.....

That pick playing is a lawyer thing.

They naturally pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick EVERYTHING !!!   :)

That Scorpions korina TBird is my fave bass you have. LOVE korina TBirds!!
Can I trade you my hot GF for it? She's nice but hates bass gear....

BTW....that live Scorpions clip....I can see why my pal Bobby Rondinelli was brought in to play the drums (uncredited) for the Scorpions album that gave them their biggest hits :)   I'm a Scorpions fan but can see why they wanted a new drummer.

I feel honored, but it's a keeper!!! II

Wasn't that the one where Jimmy Bain played bass too? Not because Buchholz couldn't play, but because he was busy with the band's convoluted finances (later on a target of a tax fraud investigation that led to Buchholz being fired from the band, I believe they haven't spoken since). He was according to Bain even in the studio as Bain laid down some tracks and small-talked with him amiably.

Rarebell is generally regarded as a not very good drummer, I always wonder why, he doesn't really rub me the wrong way, he sounds a bit like Peter Criss to me, who was no Billy Cobham either, but good enough for Kiss. Rarebell was good enough for the Scorpions I guess. Most of the time. He was a good rhythm section with Buchholz (they still are, I only saw them recently playing with Michael Schenker).

Best Scorpions drummer ever was Jürgen Rosenthal in my percussive opinion who played on Fly to the Rainbow, then got drafted to the German army/Bundeswehr and later saw fame and fortune with Teutonic proggies Eloy (who poached him before he could return to the Scorpions). In the Rosenthal days, ze Scörps were basically still a (pimply!) prog band, closer to, say, Wishbone Ash than to their later Sturm & Drang all-out stadium rock (also well worth a listen for Buchholz' back then still busy and very melodic/introspective bass playing; Roth's soloing is of course already exquisite too):

Rondinelli, I've seen twice with Rainbow (that drum solo where he played with his hands ...), I probably preferred his drumming to Cozy Powell's extremely heavy-handed approach. Rondinelli is no feather on the drum skins either, but he grooves more than Cozy - a great character - did, who tended to sound machine-like (before machine-like drummers were en vogue as they now seem to be). Since then I've seen him with BÖC (he's technically a better drummer than Albert Bouchard, but Albert was irreplaceable in BÖC for his songwriting contribution) and Doro I believe, - and possibly with Black Sabbath (not sure whether that might not have been Powell at the concert I saw with Neil Murray and Tony Martin - we were admitted for free to the hall towards the end of the concert and basically only saw the encore at the time). Black Sabbath with Neil Murray (or Neil Murray with Black Sabbath) just looked plain weird as did Tony Martin who had great pipes, but not remotely a Sabbath image.

Rondinelli also played with Over the Rainbow (band fronted by JLT and made up of musicians from various Rainbow line-up plus Blackmore's German son Jürgen, they are supposed to be good) - are they still a going concern?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:16:42 AM by uwe »

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
Uwe.....

That pick playing is a lawyer thing.

They naturally pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick EVERYTHING !!!   :)

That Scorpions korina TBird is my fave bass you have. LOVE korina TBirds!!
Can I trade you my hot GF for it? She's nice but hates bass gear....

BTW....that live Scorpions clip....I can see why my pal Bobby Rondinelli was brought in to play the drums (uncredited) for the Scorpions album that gave them their biggest hits :)   I'm a Scorpions fan but can see why they wanted a new drummer.

Hey! Where'd you get those 2 Hamers??????  ;)

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
 From a madman in  Korina Heaven :)

Somewhere I have a video tape of me, Bobby and Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden all onstage together giving out an award. It's funny because I look at Bobby and say to the audience "I haven't seen this guy since we were out at a rock club in New York and he asked to borrow my car to bang some girl because he couldn't fit her in his Corvette."  Hahaha. I still don't recall how I got paired with two drummers that night.

He recently played with Leslie West either in NYC or Long Island.

Uwe....yeah, the early Scorions stuff was rippin'....Can you believe I was at a radio station that actually let me play that. The morning guy even played that stuff and early Priest, etc. as early as 6 a.m. !! THAT got you out of bed.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »
Except for the cringeworthy lyrics and pronounciation! No one in Germany believed that the Scorpions would ever stand a chance outside of our borders, Klaus Meine's "Engerman" was regarded as too bad. But the outside world never seemed to mind. I remember an American buddy who was genuinely surprised to find out that the Scorpions were Krauts when I thought Meine's äckssent stood out like a sore thumb to any native speaker. He thought they were Brits. But then his sister thought "BMW" stood for "British Motor Works" too and they were both from Detroit. :mrgreen:

Those arrogant Brits, of course, were an exception, to this day there is hardly an article about ze Skörps in Brit mags zat doesn't quote Meine's stäge räp: "Püt ze spötlight on ze peeple!!!"

Taking my Korina TB Rev to the rehearsal tonight, this thread inspired me, vielen Dank!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »
yeah, the early Scorions stuff was rippin'....Can you believe I was at a radio station that actually let me play that. The morning guy even played that stuff and early Priest, etc. as early as 6 a.m. !! THAT got you out of bed.

About ten years ago when I was working morning audio at WBIR, our parent company Gannett had a blanket BMI/ASCAP license which I availed myself of constantly for backbumps, special segments and any excuse to play music in the morning over the air. The only rule was to not play anything that would draw an FCC fine (and me being fired). Best moment ever? Playing "Ace of Spades" for the intro to the December 24 morning show at the top of the second hour leading into the celebrity birthday segment and seeing the look of confusion and horror on the fill-in female co-anchor's face (the music played through their IFB's) and the super-professional straight-laced anchor Bret Dark (yes, his real name) turning to her just before cue and saying, "Just roll with it."

During the times we played music, the morning show had its best ratings ever, and scored higher than both of our local competitors put together. Now, after cutbacks and jobs lost to executive bonuses, that same show struggles to place third in the market and looks like what it is, cheap crap cobbled together by high school kids.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »
Nice to finally have a big brother.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
KICK ASS BASS!!!!!!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »
So cool!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
Custom Futura  8 is so clean & simply styled, Im humbled.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2015, 07:24:22 AM »
Thank You! That Moderne is Perfectly done!!!!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
Im gonna rear it apart, paint it purple , add emg's .......... just kiddin . I am going to re wire it and finish some cosmetic stuff this winter.