Author Topic: eb3 varitone dial plates  (Read 14175 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: eb3 varitone dial plates
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
I just go my plates last night.  They look great.  I got the circuit diagram from the net.  I got the caps and pots listed on the diagram from Antique Electronic Supply.  I got the resistors from a local supply house.  I got the 4 position switch from all parts along with all the knobs from Allparts.

Your plates are great!

the plates turn any bass they are attached to into a bass cyborg. at the prearranged time they will all migrate home to me
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I have paid Curtis for my coils but have not received them yet.  I will get them soon so I can get started.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
i recieved mine the early part of this week. the way this weather has been acting i am not suprised though. i am still waiting on a Gibby cover coming from Butte, Montana. i used to drive truck up through there and it can get real nasty very quickly.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »
I have my coil.  I am getting ready to do the mod.  I was talking to one pickup builder and he mentioned something that caught my interest.  I was talking about the problem of getting the Mini Humbucker pickup for the bridge.  By the way anyone who does not know (like me) the NYT Mini Humbucker that is talked about so much, well NYT is just another name for part of Gibson and you cannot buy directly from them the pickups as they do not sell them to anyone.  This other pickup builder mentioned that I could use the Mini Humbucker from a firebird.  He stated that because they use a bar magnet instead if the posts so it does not matter if it sees 6 or 4 strings.  Anyone ever tried using a firebird bridge pickup on an EB3 style?

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:55 PM »
you could call seymour and ask about this one:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/antiquity/specialized-2/1101409_10_anti/

i don't know anything about it blade or screw or ? but they could probably tell you. they make what looks like a mini for a Rick you could ask about also. again i don't know anything about the Rick one either.

Epiphone Viola Bass pickups look similiar but as to the sound = dunno.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-EPIPHONE-VIOLA-BASS-MINI-HUMBUCKER-PICK-UP-BDG-/230570140824?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35af0d2498
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:56:18 AM by sniper »

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
The Mod on my EB0 is completed.  What I can say is in position 1 the sound is that low growely sound.  There is one thing I did not expect that until I reach 7 or 8 position on the volume it is real quiet but then it booms.  In position 2 the volume drops greatly as the choke is engaged but the tone is still very low but crystal clear much like my Jazz base.  In the third position due to the switch I had they had to wire the both pickups out of phase on this position.  The only way I can describe this position is like having a super pickup instead of two because the volume does not drop but if you dial back the volume on either neck or bridge control it is like you are moving the pickup back and forth and the tone changes like it.  This was a great suprise.  I truly believe if I set the switch to position 3 I could dial almost any tone I like.  Finally in setting 4 which is the bridge pickup alone as I moved the tone control from 0 to 10 the tone goes from a low funky tone great for certian songs to on 10 a light sound that several people have said shounds a lot like an acoustic upright bass.

In short this mod has enlarged the sound production of my short scale bass greatly and I will probably become my main bass from this point on.  Thanks to everyone who helped me through parts and advice.  I will try to attach pictures if anyone would like to see the instrument.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
Larry, I am glad you got your mods done and are happy. Post a few pics if you can. Rule here is no pics ain't happening. I would especially like to see my varitone plate on a bass.

I have given up on a Gibby bridge pup and have decided to use a Dimarzio Model G instead. Thinking the DiM would work with a 60's mudbucker and thinking the DiM would work better planted a bit North of the usual bridge position witrh the bucker slammed against the fretboard.

I have also been putting off my double cut build for so long it seems like its never going to get done; and now, I am excited about designing an LP build so back on the shelf the double cut goes for another year or so at least.

Basses are cool, girl friends can be kinda iffy and I have so much psycho bitch crap going on now I'm bugging out for Missouri soon so stay in touch and post some pics dude.

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
I got a call from John at All Parts last night to tell me they had got in a shipment of Mini Hummers and their black rings for mounting.  You Might try getting ahold of him for one.  I have a firebird pup that fits for the Mini Hummer if you would like to try that one instead.  I will get some pics this weekend and post.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
I made the choice to give up on the minibucker and go for the DiM G. I sold a PAF bass minibucker a few weeks ago.

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
I took some pics of my mod and put them in my facebook albums.  I will try to paste the link here.

http://www.facebook.com/ajax/photos/album/edit/dialog/dialog.php?album_id=2067469492944

See if you can get to the pictures from this.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
doesn't work for me. i opened a photobucket account and upload to there. then i copy the image info and past it onto my replies in here and it works.

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »
Got a different address.  Lets see if this can work.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1431007968&aid=2130908

If not you can go to my facebook Larry Crabtree and see the pictures in my album.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »
nice job. i never realized the difference between an Epi and a Gibby EBO's pick guards. the Epi definately has a bigger guard.

here is a pic of one of my first customers mods to a Gibby EBO:

this guy lives in Spain.

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:16 AM »
Guard was one thing we had to work through.  I am not sure if the body is not smaller on an epi.
But I thought mine turned out very nice.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »
i have an extra Epi body and it fit in the case i sold Hornise very nicely. i was using it to store the Epi body and other pieces so i am of the impression they are very close in shape/size.