Author Topic: A Peter Cook Custom Thunderbird...?  (Read 13405 times)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
Re: A Peter Cook Custom Thunderbird...?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:59 PM »
You know I didn't know the name Peter Cook (except in terms of Derek and Clive) before this thread, but look what's on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peter-Cook-Twin-Neck-Electric-Guitar-12-and-6-String_W0QQitemZ360134836349QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item360134836349&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Sorry it isn't a bass. I may well have a pop at this....

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
From one newbie to another, welcome to the thread PBR

Now then, now then...

How about TEQUILABIRD...? or FUNDERBIRD...?, or BAHAMARAMABIRD...?, or maybe COO-BAR-BIRD...? or...

Okay, who groaned, I distinctly heard a groan, admit it, I know your out there...

and Mr Juju, I was just about to post the above when I saw yours come up... what an awesome Firebird...

My 'Bird has a cuzzie, and twice the necks, too... :mrgreen: with envy...

I know she's not a bass, but she's still a 'Bird... I've put a watch on her too, but more in a "Dream-On" mode... 99p ...! ...? Bet she don't make her reserve, or she goes totally bananas... good luck if you go for her... Another thought, she may just slip thru because not too many will know the pedigree...

On a technical note, she has the same "wing" structure - slimmer than the central section of her body, same as my Tequilabird... I think I'll stick with that, for now - still a T'bird... thanx for making the obvious idea come to the surface, Mr Rocker...

ps ELJ re D&C - I wonder how many Americans know the likes of "What's the worst job...", or "And he had the audacity to say, awwwwhhh, I'm dying...", or some such obscenity laden filth...
Mr Cook does wish he had a penny for ... etc, I did mention that once ... (in a distinctly around the edge, non crass, avoiding the issue kinda way - If I remember correctly he was/is a black-belt, or some such thing) ... when he refretted Tequilabird and defretted my RD (the first time...?), but that IS another story...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:44:06 PM by Ken S »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »
Wow, that doubleneck left me feeling slightly aroused. Not as stiff as Chris Matthew's after the non-State of the Union speech the other night, but quite a tingling nonetheless...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »
Oooh! I already have chicken skin from listening to Buddy & Julie Millers new cd, Written in chalk, which is a really nice record, like everything I've heard so far from Mr & Mrs M. Then I go to the Outpost, and find this beautiful doubleneck! I swear, guys, I chilled right to the bone... What a nice piece! Fantastic, that there's still people around who really knows there skill. Nice! I wouldn't have no use for it myself, but for the handcraft... most impressing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 03:27:16 AM »
I like that coral sea fin too, Ken! (I was in Prague a couple of days, hence my late saying hi here.) And of course you're allowed to mention ze wär.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 09:26:59 AM »
You know I didn't know the name Peter Cook (except in terms of Derek and Clive) before this thread, but look what's on ebay now

WOW! That's cool. Put some legs on it and you could serve Thankgiving dinner on that thing.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 11:08:29 AM »
This will have to be a quick post, and brief by my standards, I have a rehearsal to start loading up for in 10 minutes...!

Lots more posts - Mr Cook's workmanship is something to be appreciated, but after a bit of (brief) checking today, it looks like he left the business in '89...

OMC & Stjofon - I haven't come up with a lottery win to put a bid in so may have to droll on... I'd purely have her for rhythm (closet multi instro) but what a beauty... and some early bids have come in, not from here... :(

GH289 - ... and maybe good for the tour (mini) bus for snacking...

and Uwe... Stewart, Kenneth; Engineer; 641320... you'll get nothing out of me...!

Coral Sea fin, hmm, I've tended to view them more as fins than wings... oops, that truth serum seems to have worked... DAMN...!

Travel... the joys of the day job...?

Prague...? hmm... spying mission, no doubt...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
FYI Who fans or not, guys and gals and others... more Peter Cook stuff, and something more exotic up for sale...?

Another brief add-on re Peter Cook instruments - The bass that was the model for the cover of the "Who By Numbers" artwork that Mr Entwistle was "playing" (another PC build) is presently being offered (in replication) by Ed Romans Abstract... Links below...

First, this is a link to another PC instrument that was sold for $33,000 - mine has no pedigree and I doubt that the Firebird double-neck will have such a high reserve with no provenance...
http://www.whocollection.com/john's_basses.htm

This one shows Mr E with the "Lightning Bolt"  as it was called, and the instrument in the above link, where it is shown in colour...
http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/entwistle.htm

This is a link to the "Lightning Bolt" reissue...
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/foundationbass.htm

Anyone know where the original now lives...?

Gonna try to get a post re my modified RD artist - another sorry story about carnage - up and running today, if I don't get skinned for hogging the PC from the Craft Department (my wife and daughter...) and a posting on the Vintage Amps site re a Marshall Smallbox 50 (at least it may be) I've just found in the loft - much more sorry than most would be able to tolerate...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
Wow, this reissue bass is new to me. Thanks. You should mail this linkt to the who.net gear page.

I used to have the Entwistle auction guide (a friend borrowed it and he still has to return it after years...) but I can't remember that bass being in it. It sure isn't in the Entwistle Bass Collection Book.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »
Will do Mr D... Busy on the VABB re Marshall, also posting re my DR103-Switch, as the "switch" works in reverse to what is on Mark Huss' site re DR103S, unless I've gone bananas, which is always possible...? I'd completely forgotten that... senior moment...? nope, just the first time I'd used it in 2 decades... back soon... ish...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »
My brand new DR201 died yesterday at the third time I used it. Just some smoke and...  nothing. Silence. Well, it's brand new, so I guess Hiwatt'll repair it...

I hope you have better luck with the Switch:)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to mourn the passing of DR201, all the more distressful to have been one so young...

Sorry Chris, couldn't resist... Now that is tragedy of Greek proportions, Homer could do no more...

I am posting the link here re the Marshall and the "SWITCH" (found out that a new quirk, GOOD though, makes her LOUDER which is always a plus, though my bandmates tended to disagree...) for the curious who wish to be disgusted...

a new one on a Marshall  - 1st reply already, could be 60's or early 70's...!
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82268&p=811644&sid=f6d74212c6f8bba4067f8ac16003cd0e#p811644

... and my Hiwatt...
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81510&sid=f6d74212c6f8bba4067f8ac16003cd0e

Gonna try and get the RD posted now, but will keep it brief and factual for a start - time has run away, yet again...

Good luck with repairs...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:51:39 PM by Ken S »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
Thats a bummer Chris, I hope my '75 Hiwatt doesn't do that !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
FYI - just took a quick peek and unless I am mistaken, the PC Twin is sitting at GBP200 with no reserve now...

... and no lottery win...

DAMN...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
Closing this post off...

That PC doubleneck Firebird went for GBP471... I just don't believe it...

Did find another one in my pic collection from a band called Stray, supporting Kiss back in '76 - not the same instrument - necks reversed to the one that was on sale

Makes me wonder how many T'birds he made...?

Let this one slide now and I'll post a new one when I get round to the refin...