Author Topic: Writing On the Wall  (Read 1840 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Writing On the Wall
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »
Given the size of the place it seems surprising that Edinburgh hasn't given the world more bands. The Rezillos anybody? Anyway, I discovered this band by chance; Writing On the Wall. A slightly cumbersome name, but a cool band. Definitely something of the Atomic Rooster about them.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Writing On the Wall
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
They should have called themselves "Nuclear Hen"!  :mrgreen:

There was a time span - somewhere between 67 and 73 I'd say, when the Hammond held a firm grip on more daring contemporary music. It's one hell of an instrument. It's one of big regrets that I never played in a band with a keyboarder with a real Hammond. Copycat keyboards discounted here.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:54:20 AM »
I would love to play bass in some sort of organ trio. Think Medeski Martin and Wood, Atomic Rooster, Quatermass, or even Brian Auger Trinity. A great sound, especially the heavier bands that merged that jazzy B3 sound with hard rock. Great stuff, but I doubt I will find anybody with a B3!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:39 AM »
I have thought about that too in the past - as long as you don't end up in the ELP mode then. ELP had their high points, but all too often it was technical prowess for technical prowess' sake and the music could become clinical (but then Emerson was more of a piano and synth player than a Hammond man and his hard-hitting piano playing - exquisitely performed, no doubt - could make the music sound harsh). And of course someone would have to sing and I'm unfortunately no John Wetton (I have a soft spot for UK).

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »
(I have a soft spot for UK).

Is that why you stopped at the Channel...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:59:08 AM »
 :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: Naw, we had issues with the food quality there.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
The Rezillos anybody?

Flying Saucer Attack was the fave of a neighbour of mine in Amsterdam some 35 years ago. Played at all hours at top volume and at some point ( it was around 3AM )  another neighbour shouted at the top of his longues through his opened window: Some people have to get up early in the morning and have to work to pay for your dole cheque ! Those were them dayz ............  ;D
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
Never heard of Ladybird. But thanks to Dave Barry's blog earlier this week, I've now heard of Ladybeard. Aussies must be so proud.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 11:29:17 AM »
Germany had issues with the food quality in the UK....ah that explains the move westward! :mrgreen:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
japan likes ladybeard, whadda' surprise. :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:27:25 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:08:41 AM »
Flying Saucer Attack was the fave of a neighbour of mine in Amsterdam some 35 years ago. Played at all hours at top volume and at some point ( it was around 3AM )  another neighbour shouted at the top of his longues through his opened window: Some people have to get up early in the morning and have to work to pay for your dole cheque ! Those were them dayz ............  ;D

A brave soul! Worst I've had was neighbours that took to humping at 23:00 and 6:30, regular as clockwork. The walls were thin, but not so thin that I could establish the existence of any ladybeards through there...  :sad:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
A brave soul! Worst I've had was neighbours that took to humping at 23:00 and 6:30, regular as clockwork. The walls were thin, but not so thin that I could establish the existence of any ladybeards through there...  :sad:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;D

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 03:12:30 AM »

wellll you know that somehow vincent crane made carl palmer sound funky- discuss.
Louder bass!.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 04:54:55 AM »
Vince Crane is a disgustingly overlooked musician. A true English eccentric, and something of a tragic figure. Did he invent head banging?