Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Cowpoke P-bass in the house!

(1/5) > >>

Denis:
I've been looking around for Fender P-bass to go along with the Dano and T-bird but didn't want one of the more commonly seen ones. Friday I saw an interesting looking P-bass on eBay and sent a photo of it to a friend who told me it's what was often referred to as a "Cowpoke" bass. It's sunburst and looks like it's been around the block a couple of times but it's definitely high on the unusual-looking P-bass category. I understand they were made only for a few years in the early '90s.

What do you guys think of them?

Dave W:
The Cowpoke is a Fender P-Bass Special made in Mexico in the mid 90s, downsized body, '51 style pickguard, P/J with a preamp. They sold for about 450-500 new, a few years back they were going used in the 300 range, don't know about now. They seemed to change hands a lot.

A friend of mine gigged regularly with one for a couple of years in the late 90s, always sounded good to me and she seemed to like it. But when she got married, her husband gave her a new Stingray and Ampeg stack for a wedding present. After that she used her new gear.

The Precision Special name has been used and reused over the years.

Denis:
Thanks for the info, Dave. This one's coming to me for about $300 so that's probably fair. Do they have J-bass necks on them?
I'm curious to see how I like it.

Dave W:
Yes, the necks had a typical J type profile.

Pilgrim:
I've read a number of discussions about them - the impression I gathered is that they're a well-made bass and they definitely have a fan club.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version